test kits

Vallisneria

I'm thinking i need a some new test kits. My last ones were from the AP master kit(ammonia,nitrite,nitrate, ph high and low, KH, gh). I liked most of the test kits that that came with but found the nitrate kit extremely hard to read. I couldn't tell the difference between the colors. So i was never sure exactly how much nitrates i had(unless is was on the low side of the scale). I also tried a Hagen nitrate test kit but foudn that one was even harder to tell the difference between the colors. The AP kit was atlest orange-red the hagen kit was various shades of purple, all look teh same to me :rolleyes:

So what nitrate kits of everyone use? Anyone know of one that is easy to read(clear color differences)?

Well usually anything over 10-20 start to look the same. The AP test was a bit easier to tell the difference of as 5-10-20ppm were kind of yellow to ornge to red. But on the hagen test all amounts were various shades of purple. Even at the lower numbers i couldn't tell the difference. SO basically if anything is ever over 20 i can't tell what exactly it is.

When i was fishless cycling i had a heck of a time figuring out what my nitrates were at.

I think i may try the red sea test.

i hit the town and go to petsmart ten petcetera then skiceller then petsmart. its sorta a loop and I get free water tests from each 'cept ski celler I do that once a week.

Day to day use - I used a hagen master test kit... Just need to make sure your NO2/NO3 solutions are up to date (expiry is printed on the bottoms). Not 100% accurate by any means - but they give you a ballpark.

If you really want accuracy Lamotte test kits are what you should be looking for - but they are priced accordingly - expect to pay 75$+ per kit (yes individual kits - they are that expensive).

I believe it's the red sea SW kit I've got - not very accurate but it'll point you in the right direction anyway.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...