L260 QA pleco spawn

dpaul

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure...he's doing a good job of protecting some...one of the other QA's in the tank keep's trying to get into the cave, and in the act of ejecting the "visitor" I think he dislodged some...He's very attentive to the remaining ones...I'm kindof glad some were dislodged-now I have some in the cave and some in the basket, so I don't have 'all my eggs in one basket' so-to-speak...And I can snap pics of the ones in the breeder basket as they develop/grow/color up, without disturbing him anymore..David

A secret?? hahahaha...no...that wouldn't be fair if I kept it a secret... ;)

"The male has had a female trapped in a cave off and on(she left 3 times) for the last week...Dec 24 I guess they spawned...the eggs look MASSIVE!! much bigger than bristlenose eggs...

the tank: 50 gallon, bare bottom, with 3 of those caves made out of slate tiles siliconed together and a piece of dritwood...there's an AC300 pushing water the length of the tank, an air-driven sponge filter, and also a powerhead attached to a sponge filter pushing water the length of the tank...4 females and 2 males in the tank...the females have been very gravid for quite a while,(3 still are) so if this spawn isn't fertile, I'm sure there's more eggs where that came from...

I had been doing water changes once a week with RO for a while, and finally decided to bump the parameters back up for a while and then start again...I did a big water change with regular tap, and soon after they started hanging out in the cave together...I believe Barbie said she's had spawns like that, where just the change makes them spawn, not necessarily a change of lower hardness...

So, those are the details...I guess it'll be a few days before they become wigglers, if they're going to hatch...I'll probably notice the movement in the cave if they do hatch-or the lack of eggs if they don't and he eats them..." ...

<<---cut and paste from another post of mine somewhere else..

At this point I've got 10 wigglers in the breeder basket, and a whole bunch still being cared for by the male...

the temp is 82,(it was as high as 86 at times while conditioning them to spawn) the water is dechlorinated tap water with a ph in the high 7's, and a conductivity/tds( I can't remember which my meter is) of about 400--to me it's basically regular tap...

I've had the fish for over 6 months and basically spent most of that conditioning them with tons of food and trying to figure out whether I had males and females...there are 6 fish in the tank(and a couple bristlenose fry as cleaning crew) 2 males and 4 females...

I don't want to ramble on too much, if I missed something just ask...

i think the biggest thing about getting some of the harder L#'s to breed is time...once the females are gravid with eggs, if the males aren't ready(sexually mature) you have no choice but to wait...and wait...all 4 of the females are gravid-I'm guessing the other male will eventually step up to the plate or they will breed with the current breeding male..

David