Growing duckweed in a bucket

Vallisneria

I was wondering if duckweed would grow ok in a rubbermaid container with a screw in flourescent bulb for light but no filter and no heater. I'd also fertilize and maybe add flourish excel

I want to grow some as a food for my africans(they just love it!) but dont' really have a tank to grow it in, nor do I really want to start growing it mixed into my planted tanks.

So i figured maybe a bucket would work. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Well I thought about putting it outside but its still a bit cold for that. So untill it starts getting more sunny and warm I thought i'd get started in the house.

I know duckweed is prectically indestructable and that sticking it in a bucket won't kill it. But I'm looking for more of a way to get it to grow fast so that I'll be able to feed it on a regular basis.

If you put it in a container with some water from your fish tanks (old water from your water change) it will have all the nutrients it needs and should grow well. As a matter of fact the shallower the container and wider the better.

I grew it by the bucket full by just floating it in a rubbermaid by a window. I was just holding it for an upcoming auction and ended up bringing way more than I thought!

Well I've only had a bit of it growing on another tank. When it gets a bit thick in that tank I scoop a bit of it out and add it to the african tank. They eat it all up right away.

Thats why I want to grow it in a bucket. That way it can grow without being eaten and i'll have a constant supply for feeding. I also won't have to worry about growing it in a tank and having it get out of control.

I agree about the part about letting it grow in a tank as it is bothersome! I finally got rid of most of what I had groing but if you dont get every last little bit it keeps coming back although at pace that easy to keep up to. I am tempted to let it grow out a little more and try feeding it to some of my Africans.

I wonder if the green in their diet is good for them... anyone know?