DIY melafix

Vallisneria

Just thought i would tell you how to make homemade melafix for anyone tha tdoesn't already know. I have used mine for over a year with great results.

I took a 2l pop bottle and filled it with R.O. water(or distilled) then i added a 20ml bottle of melaluca oil(100% pure melaluca alternafolia). you need to make a 1% concentration(atleast that is what melafix is).

make sure you shake it up relaly good before each use. I thought before i tried it that there may be a oil slick that developes on the surface of the tank but have never experienced this. By shaking well and havig surface aggitation there was never any oil on the surface.

Hope this helps. I love it as i'm not stuck buying tiny bottle of expensive melafix to treat large tanks. Now if only i can make Pimafix.

• 7 months later...

well, melaleuca is the same as tea tree oil....

pimafix is west indie bay oil...I have been trying to find an emmulsifier to make it more soluble and i found gum arabic powder to do the job...

HAVE NOT TRIED IT YET THOUGH...arabic powder is used in soap making so water and oil do not separate!!!

JS

P.S. I use the pond version of melafix (5%) and use 5ml per 50 gallon...I also use pond version of water conditioner...same thing...I put less cuz it is stronger.

Edited by fatpuffer

• 1 year later...

I tried it without the gum arabic...pain to order and such. It actually did not separate as would water and canola oil. It mixed it nicely looking like what melafix would look like...ie. milky water consistency. I give it a nice shake just in case. Even after overnight the consistency is still there but you may see more "whiter" colour in one area and give it a shake and it is even again.

THANKS DEGRASSI!

I just need to find west indie bay oil for pimafix.

Js