Canister vs Power Filter

patrick

I have always used canister filters for my larger tanks. I've had Fluval, Rena and Eheims. I am just about to set up a 75 gallon African Cichild tank and was thinking of getting the Rena xP3 when I read an article about the Emperor 400 biowheel. It stated that because the biowheels are in constant contact with the air it provides the bacteria with much more oxygen, allowing for higher efficiency. On the other hand, because the canister have much greater surface area, should not that compensate? I have never had a hang-on filter because they seem flimsy and have very little filter media but I would love to hear some opinions on the biowheel filters.

I do not know about bio-wheel filters but on my 72 gallon I run a fluval 304 and an AquaClear 500 with an Aquaclear 300 running as a backup for my hospital tank. The power filters are great for mechanical filteration, meaning that less junk has to go through the cannister so that it runs longer before needed to be cleaned.

i use my emp400s comboed with canister filters.

if you are in a position to slap one of each on a tank, do it.

or yeah fx5. that's what i'm doing with my 75.

apparently the redesigned emp casing is now minus the little biowheel windows on the front. that blows.

Although most of my canisters are older _)(**&*(&Fluvals, I still prefer canisters to HOBs. The HOBs have overflowed on me when the media has started to clog up and float up, they don't restart the flow when there is a power interuption either. So far at least, the canisters go longer before clogging for cleaning and they've always restarted after power outage. With so much more room for media, they go much farther between cleanings. Go for the larger new ones wether it be the Renas Fluval, FX5 or even go to Aquagiant for theirs, it has a UV steralizer built in. Also at Trident , the one he has also has UV and is a kickass unit too. Sue

Edited by Qattarra

I use an a/c 500, and an a/c 300 on my 75g with little problem. I only clean them when they start to lift the lid. I also use an assortment of other internal and HOB filters on other tanks with little problem, although with the internals you are limited on media that you can use. My 2 stacked 50g tanks where th upper over flows to the lower has a magnum 350 , a fluval 4+ and a sponge running on it. There is also a rena xp3 drawing from the lower tank and discharging into the upper tank. To the best of my knowledge every tank and every filter varies for cleaning due to the biological load more than anything else. If you put a dozen guppies in a 50 gallon tank a small air powered filter will handle the load, but if you put a dozen cichlids you will need a lot more filteration.

Just keep in mind that IF you are considering bidding on this filter from a US based seller, you need to also factor in the shipping costs, GST, and any potential tariff fees, as well as the fact that IF anything gets damaged while in transit, the PO (as well as FedEx & UPS) will not cover your item under their insurance policies.

While the Fx5 is a great filter, two AC 110's would provide more than adequate filtration for a 75 gallon, and you would also have the redundancy factor if one of them was to ever fail.

Just keep in mind that IF you are considering bidding on this filter from a US based seller, you need to also factor in the shipping costs, GST, and any potential tariff fees, as well as the fact that IF anything gets damaged while in transit, the PO (as well as FedEx & UPS) will not cover your item under their insurance policies.

While the Fx5 is a great filter, two AC 110's would provide more than adequate filtration for a 75 gallon, and you would also have the redundancy factor if one of them was to ever fail.

Yes I am aware of the additional cost. The shipping is US $35 so the total is still way below retail and not terrible more expensive than for example the Rena xP3. It would also provide excellent current in the tank which the cichlids will appreciate.

Well, I got it. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive in the mail!

Wish I'd noticed this thread before you won the bid. I bought an FX5 from Gold's in Calgary for $265 incl. GST. A good deal and none of the ebay risks.

Good luck with it.