Concerning Fishermen

Slough Shark

Optional Read: My Tale of Woe- Of course we had to go to the Cabin for May long. We pumped up the Zodiac and bought a new trolling motor (the only kind I am certified to operate), loaded up the truck with all the usual goodies and set off for the long drive.

I was in the boat within 15 Min. of being at our home away from home and at one of the more average fishing holes closer to shore (in case the motor crapped out (foreshadowing). Caught one Wally right off the first cast and 3 more throughout the day- average.

Day 2- Crappy weather, I woke up at 6:00 AM to get an early start on the fish, poked my head out the door and right back in again- too windy and wet About 12:00 I went out anyways, and caught 2 fish- meh! Of course on the way back, the crap weather wasn't enough, the battery for the trolling motor crapped out! We had to oar all the way back to shore, then I had to walk the boat back to our cabin in waist deep water- yay!

So I hope everyone else faired better than me, but with the weather, maybe not

Here are some pics:

420_2060.jpg

420_2066.jpg

420_2067.jpg

420_2068.jpg

Yes, the third picture is of a Perch, I actually thought they were all gone in Pigeon lake, but on the retrieve of every cast, if there wasn't a walleye on the end of the line, there was one, two, and sometimes even a whole school of perch nipping the lure! Cool!

Taylor

Edited by Slough Shark

Dude I LOVE pigeon. My buddy and I had our best day ever up there. Its a bit of a drive from cowtown, so we only get up there once or twice a year. We went camping up there a couple years ago just to try our luck fishing and didnt know a thing about the lake. We asked the gal at the campsite office where a good place to fish would be, and she told us alot of people fish 50 yards or so of the boat launch.It was to windy to fish the first evening we got there so the next morning we were the first boat on the lake. We putted out a little ways and thought we'd drop anchor to get our rods ready to go. My buddy got his schtuff together first and threw a cast in while he waited for me to get set up. He had an eye on his first cast and three before I even got my line wet. We spent the whole day anchored on that spot and probably caught 40 or so each(not a fish tale).There was about 20 other boats around us by the end of the day and every one was doing as well as we were. LOVe that lake. Wish it was closer to me.

Sounds like you were on the opposite side of the lake from me! Sadly, I hardly get out there A) because it takes too log and B) I can't use the gas motor to get over there :grr: But that's where the best action is, I'm glad your first experience with the lake was there!

It's funny that you say you wish you were closer to Pigeon, many of us in Central Alberta would say we wish we were where you are for all the great Trout fishing you get!

Glad to hear you like the place, I am privileged to have a cabin out there.

Cheers,

Taylor

Thanks! I was a little annoyed, I couldn't get a shot that wasn't blurred, but it's tough when the boat is rocking to and fro. And I wish the perch pic was more clear, but I didn't want to stress the little guy out, who knows, he could be the one to grow nice and big, so I can catch him again and eat him! :thumbs:

It is cool to get close shots of the fish, you can see more, because normally you don't go sticking your face right up to its mouth!

Taylor

Yeah Prodogg that's where I was when the little Perchies started following the lure back to the boat, anywhere where there's weeds and shallow water, that's basically where I ran into perch.

Fishbrain, Skinless- thx for compliments, I haven't tried Ontario yet, but I'm looking forward to hooking some Muskie and Bass!

Christian- Yeah, the perch are like the Yorkshire Terriers of the Canadian fish world, just a big fish stuck in a little fish body :lol:

If I did flyfish, I would most definitley go for some Pike and just about any other fish I could, Bonefish for sure!

Tucunare- Yes please!

Pirarucu- Too big for any of my rods to handle lol!

Aruana- I don't know what this is...

Use their normal names why dont 'cha!

Tucunare- Yes please!

Pirarucu- Too big for any of my rods to handle lol!

Aruana- I don't know what this is...

Use their normal names why dont 'cha!

Those are their 'normal' names...calling them 'peacock bass', 'arapaima', and 'arowana' are simply later, anglicised forms of their normal names. :P

Muskie, Northern Pike, and Bass (largemouth, smallmouth and rock) is what I am used to.

Of course you always get perch and sunfish in the mix.

Still I dont think I could have taken pictures of them that were anywhere near that quality

Oh yes, I am very much used to Pike, see my Username :rolleyes: And thanks for compliment! I can't wait to get my Underwater Camera so I can get some much better shots of the fish! I'll be diving, renting wet suit and all :lol: I really CAN"T wait!!

Eh yeah Christian, I figured you'd say that, I guess we better change all of our fish species names back to the Native Canadian form :eh: Could take a while, I'll leave that up to you :P