Julies

Shayesmommy

I guess my julie's have been busy cause when i went downstairs to feed them.

There were two fry in the flower pot. Just two. I'm hoping more are hidden somewhere.

I will get pictures when i clean the glass(algea)

but does anyone have any information on breeding them or raising fry?

Is it best to remove them or keep them with the parents?

I know i have one female, i gimped male, and 2 others that i would assume or two young to sex yet.

I didn't think gimpy had it in him, maybe he does.

If your male is gimped, I'd personally try to move him to another tank so that your fry hopefully won't be gimped like him.

Depending on the species, females are often larger than males, so if you're using size to sex them you could be wrong. Depending on tankmates, I usually find that the fry do great left in with the parents. I've got a ton of different sized fry in my Julie tank right now, some still in the cave, some out and about in their own little caves. Some Julies will spawn a couple of eggs every couple days, some will do larger spawns every couple of weeks. Not too sure what determines it, but I've heard of them switching back and forth.

Congrats on the fry!

Thank you for the info.

I don't the male is gimped by birth. Its a swim disorder.Don't think that would affect the fry??

And i am not completely sure who the dad would be. I got the m/f as a pair and got more to join them.

Which are relatively the same size as the male who has the swim disorder,

The original owner would have to verify that though.I don't see anything wrong with him other then he has a hard time swimming.

I will just keep a better eye out on the who really is the father or not. And watch the growth of the babies.

Also its a julie only tank. So no problems there.

I'm pretty sure the male has bloat, as he was fine when I got him (just threw him in as a freeby in the pkg :) ). I didn't think the female would like him enough to breed, tho - and, I am almost positive that they are a male and female, tho they weren't paired when I had them. Keep an eye on ther fry - if they're gibbled you may want to do as Kyle suggested and move the gibbled dad, as he really should not be reproduced.

Edited by jvision

Thanks for verifying that.

i've had them for a few months now and i haven't seen babies before that. So i guess i have to hope that it is one of the newest two.

Any ideas on how tell which ones of the other ones could be males?