Rhamphochromis 'macrophthalamus'

African_Fever

Right in the middle of doing a water change today these guys decided to breed. Had the hose in refilling the tank, and they were spawning right where the water was coming in. In midwater! I don't think too much is known about the breeding habits of these guys, and since this isn't the first spawn I've had from them and there's no signs of any sort of bower, I was thinking that they were possibly spawning midwater. Grabbed the camera and got a couple crappy shots (remember I was in the middle of cleaning and refilling the tank), and will try to get them up later today. Pretty cool to see, and I'm now thinking that it's actually a mixed group of two different species.

Edited by African_Fever

Here's some pics. They're not very good, but the best I could do as they decided to do this with the hose coming in where they were and while I was cleaning. See if you can determine any differences between these, which I'll call 'Species 1' and the 'Species 2' I'll post next.

post-45-1180405103_thumb.jpg

post-45-1180405120_thumb.jpg

post-45-1180405148_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the spawn Kyle! Now if I could only see all the pics. I get an error on the other site stating that I have to sign in, which as you well know won't be happening on that site any time soon. :)

If you can get a copy of Jos Snoeks book "The cichlid diversity of Lake Malawi/Nyasa/Niassa," it has a great diagnostic section on the Rhamphochromis species. If you are ever in Edmonton, look me up and you can have a look at my copy. Also "Offshore Cichlids of Lake Malawi" by George Turner has a good deal of info. Best of luck, Luke.