Crayfish turning dark

Vallisneria

I went to feed my crayfish(Dr. Pinchy) today and noticed he had molted. I also noticed that now, instead of his normal neon blue color and pink claws, he is now a browny/blue with red on his claws. It kind of looks as if he is covered in brown algae(but its not algae), sort of a dirty brownish. He has never changed color after a molt before. He has always been a bright neon blue.

Does this mean something? Is he sick? Getting old?

ok, I was just concerned as I've had him for a year or 2 and he has never changed color before.

Sounds like you have a Cherax Quad "Australian Red Claw" crayfish. It has just turned back to its natural color. They are not normally bright blue unless they are the genetic blue strain whcih is rare in North America at the moment. Most are forced to change bright blue by keeping them in a low ph water by the breeders. Once they are sold & get into normal water they will go back to their normal color.

BUt why the change now after so many years? If ph was the issue wouldnt' it have changed color right away? Not after a year or 2 in 7.8-8.0ph water?

Here is a few pics of what he used to look like

With flash

crayfish4.jpg

without flash

crayfish3.jpg

And here is what he looks like today. You can see his bright blue molted shell in the left corner and how now his color has a darker brownish tinge to it.

crayfish2-1.jpg

How long to crays live?

BUt why the change now after so many years? If ph was the issue wouldnt' it have changed color right away? Not after a year or 2 in 7.8-8.0ph water?

Here is a few pics of what he used to look like

And here is what he looks like today. You can see his bright blue molted shell in the left corner and how now his color has a darker brownish tinge to it.

How long to crays live?

How many times has it molted since you have had it??? It can't change color unless it moults. Also the first couple pictures are of a Juvenile & the last is sexually mature male. Some do change color a little when they become sexually mature but not that drastic. if it was a genetic blue morph it would never change color.

Cherax quads can live a long time & get VERY large 10"+. I know some people that have had them for more than 5 years.