Rocks for African chiclids

tikka223

Due to the size of my tank I'm looking for inexpensive rocks to use. I was told that Mexican bowl rock is good and could be found at any landscape yard. I have seen "tufa" rocks there also but am unsure if they would be ok to use. Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks Shane

Why not go au natural, and use granite boulders? Places such as Burnco etc sell them rather cheap (large river rock), or you can pick them up in the country.

Thanks, but do you have to clean or treat these before you put them into your tank? Dumb question, I know you have to remove any loose dirt but is there anything else to worry about? Thanks again Shane

I just give mine a good wash with tap water, and have never had any problems. I like the smooth granite boulders as they're more in keeping with the rocks found in the lake, and they won't cause any injuries to the fish.

I just give mine a good wash with tap water, and have never had any problems. I like the smooth granite boulders as they're more in keeping with the rocks found in the lake, and they won't cause any injuries to the fish.

Thank you. I will try some of them mixed with what I already have and see how it works Shane

You can use tuffa rock but due to its sharp edges I'd avoid making caves as I've had a few fish cut their heads on it when I had caves. Random large boulders of it don't seem to be a problem. They are nice to use because you can pick them up at Burnco and they are lighter than most rocks.They also look cool when they get covered on algae.

I got 30-40lbs of Tufa left over that I can sell for $20.00. A couple of them are cut so they are flat on one side.

Thanks for the offer but I have enough river rock now. 200 lbs should be enough to go with the 115 lbs of mexican bowl rock. Thanks again Shane