Starting a Cherry Shrimp Tank

tbemis

Cherry shrimp tanks are sweet! I love mine, definately my second fav tank (only to the reef of course). It's great tossing in a few algae wafers and watching the hordes come scampering out of the plants to ravage them. After a few minutes you can only see a red ball of cherry shrimp rolling across the bottom.

• 4 weeks later...

So I received my shrimp and started my tank. Currently I just have a lot of Java Moss in the tank with 15 cherries. I am going to be leaving for holidays for a week any suggestions on feeding or do I need to have someone come and "shrimp-sit" for me??

Well make sure you dont' leave your brother in charge. :cuss: I just came back from vacation and most of my shrimp tank is dead. Of course it is partially my fault as I left a 10g with hundreds of shrimp, a bit too over stocked for leaving so long.

If you only have 15shrimps then you probably dont' have to worry. Feed them maybe once or twice for the week depending on how much algae etc. you have in the tank.

If you have any NLS Wafers, just toss one in and forget about them - they'll definitely be fine for the week. The reason I say NLS Wafers is that they don't decompose as fast as other brands (from what I've found). Otherwise, feed them the day you leave. Don't worry about them going w/o for a week, they should be fine. Just make sure there's plenty of airation - especailly over the next few days. With the weather like this the DO levels can get pretty low.