Starting a Cherry Shrimp Tank

tbemis

I am thinking about starting a cherry shrimp tank. I was thinking about a 20g, I noticed alot of you have 10g or 15g. Does size really matter in this instance, could I get away with something smaller? Any special requirements for getting one set up? Can I keep them in a planted tank? Any other comments or suggestions are welcome.

I started up my shrimp tank in November. I use a 10g with a small HOB filter and a bare bottom. I threw in a few clippings of water wisteria and a bit of java moss. I keep the temp about 78* and feed them whatever I have on hand, usually NLS and veggie flakes. I didn't start with a cycled tank, I set mine up the night before but I used an old sponge from another tank.

I bought 10 off Jvision at the nov. auction and he said all I needed was a tank, water and the shrimp and in a month I'd have a bunch. He was right.! My first babies came about a month later and now I have hundreds.

My shrimp tank is definately one of my favorite tanks.

I started up my shrimp tank in November. I use a 10g with a small HOB filter and a bare bottom. I threw in a few clippings of water wisteria and a bit of java moss. I keep the temp about 78* and feed them whatever I have on hand, usually NLS and veggie flakes. I didn't start with a cycled tank, I set mine up the night before but I used an old sponge from another tank.

I bought 10 off Jvision at the nov. auction and he said all I needed was a tank, water and the shrimp and in a month I'd have a bunch. He was right.! My first babies came about a month later and now I have hundreds.

My shrimp tank is definately one of my favorite tanks.

Yes a sponge filter that has been cycled would be great as the bio load innitialy would be small enough for the filter to adjust to and look after a few shrimp!

good point val...

Mine is a 5g hexagon that sits on my desk. Val passed on the advice of "all I needed was a tank, water and the shrimp and in a month I'd have a bunch".

I don't quite have hundreds, but they are getting close to fifty.

They have a used sponge filter, duckweed, java moss, and a ton of staghorn algae.

I think my population does not grow as fast as it could because I occasionally put swordtail fry in there.

WCs are the key to fast pop'n growth. I cut back from 50% weekly to 2x/month and have noticed a marked reduction in breeding.

I have read a lot of litterature on the cherry shrimp and water quality is an absoulte must with these shrimp... apparently they are more sensitive to water quality then most fish...any upset and you can lose the whole tank very quickly...

frequent water changes and lots of plants will keep the doctor away!

Ok, so I picked up my tank and equipment. I went with a 10g and set up my filter in my existing community to start culturing my bacteria. I will probably look at stocking in a couple of weeks, I am in Whitehorse all next week. Any suggestions as to what type of substrate I should be using, what type of plants to start with (and how many)?