A. Rubencens

Fishy

I just bought this breeding trio from Chums (1m,3f) Any suggestions on what fish I could add to these without worrying about aggression or cross breeding? They are in a 55g tank with rock work. I would like to make this a Hap/peacock tank.

Well i had a breeding group of A. rubencens in my 90g african last year and had to give them away as the male was getting beat up. He was in with a red empress, P.electra. Lab perlmutts and rusties. He started getting picked on by the red empress shortly after the red empress grew bigger then the peacock. I found that my ruby red peaccoks were quite "wimpy" and never showed least bit of aggression.

IF you are looking for tankmates i would suggest a "peaceful" hap. But in my case even that didn't work out :(

I was thinking I might put them in a 33g tank by themselves as a breeding tank. But if I can find out something I could mix them with I'll leave them in the 55g.

Question, I have some fry from these. Did you have any fry? If so, how did you raise them?

thx Neil I will have a look at them :)

Question - Do you know where I can get some very nice yellow labs? :) They are not for this tank but another one I will be setting up just for mbunas.

I think you mentioned someone you know that has some F1's or wilds for other types of cichlids as well. I would be very interested as I have a bit of stocking to do in the near future.

Thx, Allan

"The female closely resembles the female of many common Malawi species (Aulonocaras, Sciaenochromis etc.) therefore special care should be taken to avoid crossbreeding. Since this fish is very unlikely to become hyperdominant other males may crossbreed with its female."

"This species may become aggressive if other fishes of the same color combination are present in the same tank."

Some info I read from www.malawicichlidhomepage.com.

Maybe not.

Kyle has some WC yellow labs, here's the thread where he is offering some various F1's for sale. Send him a PM about the F1 labs, and tell him I sent you.

http://s6.invisionfree.com/AlbertaAquatica...?showtopic=1314

As far as the azureus cross breeding with your rubescens, I would say the chances would be very remote. The females have different markings, and both species are fairly non aggressive. Also, the males look very different, so the chances of any inter species aggression will be slim to none. With only these 2 species in a 55, and with each male having 2-4 females, you should encounter no problems whatsoever.

thx for the info Neil. I do like those fish, very nice colors on the male. I may just transfer the rubecens to a 33g in the future. That will be their tank alone and start my mbuna with the 55g. My long term plan is to get a 150g or bigger later in the year. That will be my Victorian tank, 55g my mbuna, two 33g for Haps/peacocks breeding groups, 20g mixed tiger/albino barbs, and 2-3 10-20g tanks for fry and grow outs. :w00t:

Luckily my wife doesn't have a problem with this yet....lol (knock on wood) :boxed:

I wil get in contact with Kyle later this month once i have another tank ready to go and inquire about the yellow labs. What are some good mixes for the labs?

thx, Allan