Hypsophrys nicaraguensis "life" issues

dunl

I was going to say breeding issues, but seeing as these two do nothing but hide under rocks all day long in 55 they inhabit by themselves, I'm thinking they're bored to death or something.

Any chance someone has a male or female they would like to trade for one of mine to see if we can find a compatible pair?

(Or maybe they need to go on a second honeymoon to a fellow AA'ers fishroom for a day or two....):lol:

Try adding some more fish some rainbow fish or bigger tetras-- that can help get their juice flowing

Will dithers actually get them into breeding mode? I can see them getting them out and around, but breeding?

Yeah don't give up. The first time I spawned Sunsets I had actually given up. This was around 1992 and sunsets were very hard to obtain and the odd time a store had them they were in the 30 to 40 dollar range for 1 1/2'' fish. Anyhow while ordering some african cichlids from Ned Bowers in Boston he mentioned he had a pair of wild caught sunsets that were not doing well and if I wanted to pay the extra shipping he would throw them in so I jumped on it and had a pair . The male was around 9" and the female was around 6" and they looked in poor shape so for the next 6 month I treated these fish like royalty gave them the best of everything and got no response they looked depressed hardly ate didn't have nice color nothing. So anyhow I put them in a empty 50 gal that was under a 140 gal and kind of out of sight it had no light and only a medium sized sponge filter. For the next 3 months or so I gave these fish very little attention odd feeding last on the water change list etc. Then one day I noticed all these little orange balls on the bottom of the tank they were about the size of a BB and there was about 500 of them and they were just rolling around not attached to anything and the sunsets were ignoring them so I siphoned them out put them into a 5 gal pail and added a airstone .It took almost 2 weeks for these eggs to hatch way longer than I expected but they didn't turn white so I had left them.

The offspring from these sunsets were top quality and were spawning at around the 2 1/2'' size and they spawned in the proper manner with eggs stuck to a flat rock and parental care. The wild caught pair never did spawn again and I think I sold them at a cas labour day auction.

This probably won't help you dunl but I was bored ha ha

• 1 month later...

Hey Darcy,

Do you still have your nics? I have a couple in my 90 gallon tank presently and haven't seen any eggs yet. I just removed some S. multipunctatus that were sharing the tank with them. They do alot of digging, but no eggs. I am going to add some clay pots for caves and if I don't see any action in the next little while I might be interested in a swap.

It is very possible that I have 2 males here. Both are the same size at ~7" and have rather broad heads but not really a nuchal hump. Rather orangy in color with pale blue operculum. No brilliant red like I see in pics of females or sleeker head shape. I have read that it is difficult to get a compatible pair as well though.

Let me know if you're still interested in an exchange.

David.

I know they're not cichlids, but my BN plecs didn't start breeding 'til they had some company. Most cichlids that I've spawned actually spawned more frequently when they've had something to keep away from the nest. I'd recommend tossing something in to see if it gets them going.