Yo Yo Loaches

corrosionjerry

Does anyone have a good way to catch these Loaches... I am trying to get 5 out of my 75Gallon... I tried for a half hour no success... I removed all of the wood etc... the only thing left in the tank was Jungle val... and the other fish of course... I just couldnt even come close to catching even 1 of the loaches...

Someone must have an idea or two..

You could put some food in a cup on the bottom and wait for them to swim into it.

I can totally sympathize with you!

I usually put a few shrimp pellets or NSL wafer in a net and set it close to their hang out...mine are food hogs and will come flying out and before they realize it...they are netted! Seeing as you already emptied the tank of deco though...just get 2 of the biggest nets you have and corner them...the bigger the net the better!

Use one net to "round em up" and the other to catch the speedy little buggers! Good luck with that!

Hope this helps!

Tammy

This advice is if the food in the net is not working.

My wife had one net and I had the other. One was the coraller and the other was the catcher. Work the corners and make them go high. They will try to deke you out. Make them, not you, do the reacting.

This sounds like coaching...

Good luck.

Interesting strategy... LOL thanks for the advice

IF you have removed everything from the tank try using a divider. Drain lots of the water and then use a divider to put all the loaches on one side. Then shrink the loach side down untill its small enough to net the loaches. I've caught zebra loaches using this method and now I use it with all my fish. Using the method I can catch all the fish I need within minutes and not the hours it took chasing them around and freaking them out.

Also you can make a pop bottle trap if the loaches can fit through the lid opening. Cut the top of a pop bottle and invert it into the bottom. Throw some food into the bottle and leave it in the tank where you can see it but in an area the loaches like. They can swim in and get the food but can't swim back out. Then just remove the bottle. I've used this for catching fry in my large african tank and it worked quite nicely.