Zero Nitrate

So my Nitrate is now at zero. The highest I ever had was 15ppm and then it dropped to 10 and finally 5. It has been stable at 5 for about a month and a half but a couple of days ago it was non-detectable - 0.

How can this be? It's not like I am complaining, it's great, but still....

I only have a few vallisneria and a couple of hornsworth in the tank. I know anaerobic bacteria takes care of nitrate but they require an oxygen free environment. I am thinking that maybe they have established in the Tufa rocks, just like they would in a SW tank?

Any ideas?

How many fish do you have in what size tank?

Hornwort is a super plant for eating up the nitrates. Maybe your nitrates are all being used by the hornwort and the vallisneria.

I only had 4 julies and 5 Xeno's. I added 13 small cyps yesterday though but what difference that makes wont be detectable yet for a while I guess. I only have about 4-5 small hornwort. The tank is 75 gallon.

How old is your nitrate tester? I read somewhere that a zero nitrate reading could be an indication that your test kit is past its prime.

Just a thought...

Yes I thought of that as well. I have two kits, but this particular one is only a few weeks old.

The other kit is a few months old and shows the same result.

With a small enough bio-load, a large enough tank, plants, and regular water changes, 0ppm is certainly attainable.

I suspect that as your cyps mature you'll be back up to the 5-10 ppm range in due time, which is certainly a very healthy range for any tank.

With a small enough bio-load, a large enough tank, plants, and regular water changes, 0ppm is certainly attainable.

I suspect that as your cyps mature you'll be back up to the 5-10 ppm range in due time, which is certainly a very healthy range for any tank.

Yes, the bio-load has been very low, and I am very picky with not feeding too much, and also do 10% water changes 1-2 times a week.