Coralife T5 vs All- glass Single strip

punman

In the States I can get a Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-48" for $52 (The Coralife F/W Aqualight T-5 is a double lamp fixture ideal for freshwater and planted aquariums. Includes one Colormax Full Spectrum and one 6700K T-5 (5/8 diameter) fluorescent lamp. Features an on/off switch, a built in electronic ballast, sleek black aluminum housing, a highly polished reflector, acrylic lens cover and adjustable width tank mounts. T-5 lamps are 28 watts each.)

Or I can get All-Glass Single Deluxe Strip Light- 48" for the same price (The All-Glass Strip-Light is a replacement light for Versa-Hoods and Full Hoods or it can be used wherever extra lighting is needed. These Fluorescent models feature internally mounted ballasts with an instant-start circuit that allows you to operate the light on a timer or switch controlled outlet. Deluxe models come with polished aluminum reflectors and full length tubes).

I don't need a double strip at all but maybe T-5s are better?

Any pros and cons to both types?

I've had both, and the all glass single bulb T8 is MUCH brighter than the two bulb coralife two bulb T5. much brighter. T5's are only better if they're HO driven (which the coralife's are not) and if they have individual reflectors (which the coralifes don't). They're pretty dim.

Gold's has both, you don't have to go to the US.

Sean

In the States I can get a Coralife F/W T-5 Aqualight Double Strip Light-48" for $52 (The Coralife F/W Aqualight T-5 is a double lamp fixture ideal for freshwater and planted aquariums. Includes one Colormax Full Spectrum and one 6700K T-5 (5/8 diameter) fluorescent lamp. Features an on/off switch, a built in electronic ballast, sleek black aluminum housing, a highly polished reflector, acrylic lens cover and adjustable width tank mounts. T-5 lamps are 28 watts each.)

Or I can get All-Glass Single Deluxe Strip Light- 48" for the same price (The All-Glass Strip-Light is a replacement light for Versa-Hoods and Full Hoods or it can be used wherever extra lighting is needed. These Fluorescent models feature internally mounted ballasts with an instant-start circuit that allows you to operate the light on a timer or switch controlled outlet. Deluxe models come with polished aluminum reflectors and full length tubes).

I don't need a double strip at all but maybe T-5s are better?

Any pros and cons to both types?

Edited by Kwirky

I really dont want to suggest buying coralife as I have some (T-5 and Compact Florescent) and think the quality on the CF is horrible the fans suck and are noisy after only a couple months. But the T-5s are nice and compact and dont get very hot. they are not that bright I added a 48" double to my tank just to get a little more blue. But Im also not sure that 1 t-8 would be brighter then 2 t-5s.

I have heard troubles with All-glass lamps crapping out quickly, this may have just been one poor batch though and it was CF.

If you really want to spend as little as possible then I guess you have your choices, other wise I would look into some other brands (current usa and J&L Aquatics have some really nice stuff).

I would go for the t-5's as they stays cooler and are way smaller and kinda pretty. But also I guess in the future you'll need to replace 2 bulbs not just 1.

I'd talk with Colby about some of the Helios HO T5's or the new GLO ballast and then get two different bulbs (I've got both, and it really depends on whether or not you want to build a quick easy light strip yourself or not). I've got a 72" Helios that I think puts out about 105 watts and is great for my 135 on its own. I've been using various brands of HO T5's for about 3 years now and love the high light output and relatively low heat. I was looking into the Coralife's for a while too, but when I found out that they're NOT HO's, I kind of figured that the whole point with switching to T5's is the higher light output.

If you want to go cheap you can get a double 48" T8 light strip with reflector for $19 at Home Depot. If you spend another $10 you get a better reflector and better overall quality.

do u have a picture of this home depot light?

If you want to go cheap you can get a double 48" T8 light strip with reflector for $19 at Home Depot. If you spend another $10 you get a better reflector and better overall quality.

do u have a picture of this home depot light?

Yes I have one that I will post when I get home. I purchased the better one which I believe was about $30. I am using it right now on my 75 Gallon. The strip is meant to hang from the ceiling and is approved for humid locations. I built a plywood box and put it in. I prob paid $10 for the wood. You could put it as is on top of the tank if it's covered.

Edited by patrick

Here are some pictures:

light1a.jpg

Here is the material I used

light1b.jpg

You could use it as is if the tank has a glass cover. Note the convenient on/off switch.

light1c.jpg

Suitable for damp locations, that can't be a bad thing :)

light1d.jpg

Wood box being glued

light1e.jpg

Done!

light3.jpg

Here is how it looks on the tank. I made a hole for the on/off switch.

The wood piece in the center is to keep the glass lid open.

It would have looked better if I had stained it but I was too lazy...

Total cost: approx. $40

Edited by patrick