The Beetles

Slough Shark

My old grandpa used to be a lumber logger (is that what you call it?) in northern Sweden in the mid 1900. Once when I was a kid he demonstrated what they used spruce beetles for. He had a sliver in his finger so he grabbed one of those beetles and put it where the sliver was. The beetle was upset ofcourse and hooked on to whatever was closest. He got a hold of the sliver and granpa pulled the bettle off with the sliver still attached. I wouldn't try it myself though, I'd rather keep the sliver lol.

LOL I think I'd rather have the sliver too! I've been bitten by B/W Sawer Beetles (The first Pic), a member of the Longhorn Beetle Family, and the bite hurts quite a bit. I'd say its comparable to being shot in the hand with an arrow (which I've done- got the scar to prove my stupidity).

And thanks for the link Christian- I just may have to make the buy!

Beetles are the only thing in this world that creep me out. I think i was traumatized when my mother had bought a house with a small corn garden in the back.While i was removing the garden and corn stalks one of those 2" "antlered beetles" (excuse my ignorance dont know the proper name) ran up my arm into my shirt lol. Ever since then the only beetle i can handle is a lady bug hehe. Very nice pictures though :)

Thanks for the compliment. I have the same problem with spiders. A girl at my school (when I was in Grade 1) brought a huge (probably like 3") spider to school and wanted me to old it. After that I've always had a recurring dream of two huge body guard type guys forcing me into a trailer full of all of the spiders I could imagine. Nasty!