The Beetles

Slough Shark

Here are a couple pics of Beetles I have photographed in Alberta:

This one is from a week ago in Cypress Hills (These guys sound like little helicopters coming in for a landing, which is nice- I hate surprise bug visits, especially ones that have wood-chewing mandibles!)

White-spottedSawyerBeetle.jpg

These two I took today, I heard this guy whip by my face when I was out hunting for good photos, so I followed him until he landed and took a couple shots of him- I had no idea Alberta had such beautifully iridescent and exotic looking beetles!

LyttaViridana.jpg

CaraganaBlisterBeetle.jpg

If anyone else has some Beetle pics, please share them! I was always afraid of Beetles, but there are none- at least in Alberta- that are aggressive enough to bite unless threatened.

Taylor

Those spruce beetles have a nasty bite as well

They can draw blood or take a piece of flesh out of you.

Go visit Ft.Mac and tell a tradesman there that there are no beetles in alberta that will bite you unless threatened.

Their answer will no doubt be less than pleasant.

Take it from me... i have seen some bad bites from those "Harmless" spruce beetles.

Really? What issue? I will have to read that, as I have known John for years now...worked together on a couple of projects, actually.

The newest issue with a great photo of a Bighorn Ram on the cover. I could easily see you knowing John, I could see you going on bug hunts or fishing somwhere in Alberta's wilds.

Eitherway...Amazing photos.

They are some of the best i have seen.

it's just i have seen with my own eyes one of these spruce beetles fly onto a guys face and take a huge chunk of flesh out of it.

Thanks! And quit telling me these horror stories about what these things can do! I'm squirrelly around them enough already :ph43r:

So you doubt John's existence?

-roll-

I'am confused?

Of course i don't doubt his existence,

I doubt you....I need to see your belief with my own eyes. :P

it's just i have seen with my own eyes one of these spruce beetles fly onto a guys face and take a huge chunk of flesh out of it.

Are you sure that was an actual spruce beetle and not you, believing you were a spruce beetle? :eh:

Oooh!

I like the green one!

I was born in Ont, and we have no bugs like you guys have out here.

Although the spruce bug (we had a couple at work) we really cool to play with, until my boss came around...