Thinking of going to NLS for the rays

Earthgirl

Anyone have experience with this food for the rays....?

Mine eat the pellets just fine, I just heard that with NLS that I won't have to feed them as much as the Hikari.

They are eating about a shrimp and a half each, so you can see my delima with appetite.

Any advice apprieciated!

As with any new food, feed very sparingly for several days, which will allow the fish's intestinal flora to adapt to any potential change a new food can sometimes cause. Although not necessary, you can mix the NLS with your current food for a few days to get them started. Many people tend to overfeed, and with a nutrient dense food such as NLS a little goes a long ways.

I know a couple of people feeding their rays NLS, and they use the 3mm Large Fish formula.

HTH

Thanks for the tips RD....

I am going to switch them next week I think (cause I am at home and can concentrate and go to the South side)

I feed the 3 motoro stingrays at petland the H2O wafers. I occasionally feed them the sinking large fish formula. Since I am allergic to bloodworms they had to be on a pellet diet for me to feed them. I break each wafer into smaller pieces but they eat it quite readily. And I must say they are doing very well on it. The one stingray has been there for quite some time. The other 2 probably about 4-6 months.

H2O wafers?

Are those algea wafers?

My rays tried eating the algae wafers in my tank, they actaually spit them out (kinda funny to watch)

I am finding that my rays, since they are getting bigger, are eating me out of house and home. All that I expected though.

I think I will try them on the NLS next week when I am on holidays :thumbs:

NLS H20 Stable Wafers::

Krill, Herring, Wheat Flour, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Alfalfa, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal- Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin, DL Alphatocopherol (E), L-ascorbyl-2polphosphate ©, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine, Dihydroiodide.

Crude Protein: (Min) 33%

Crude Fat: (Min) 5%

Crude Fiber: (Max) 5%

Ash: (Max) 9%

Moisture: (Max) 8%

Why is there Folic Acid in it?

(I know stupid question), but I know that my girls are not ready to get pregant..... :rolleyes:

ANd what is in the ones you recomened to me (so I may compare to that I am feeding to the rays now)

Well, I am not sure in fish but in humans FA is responsible for erythropoesis. I researched it a bit more and found that FA is also necessary for DNA & RNA synthesis, essential for the growth and reproduction of all body cells, and amino acid metabolism (in humans)

Js

Edited by fatpuffer

Jonah pretty much nailed it. Folic acid is standard in all vitamin/mineral premixes that are used in fish food.

The current labels are slightly different than what's shown below, but the info below is what will be listed on future labels as they are rolled out. (exact same ingredients, just revamped labels)

Large Fish Formula:

Krill, Herring, Wheat Flour, Squid, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vitamins, Minerals, and Trace Elements.

Crude Protein: (Min) 34%

Crude Fat: (Min) 5%

Crude Fiber: (Max) 5%

Ash: (Max) 9%

Moisture: (Max) 8%

I tried my rays on NLS last night and they seemed to love it right off the bat scary thing is they werent on pellets yet.

Well that is postive!

• 1 year later...