BNs!

Tanker

This is one part DIY, one part breeding and one part bottom feeders... but since it's bottom feeders breeding in a DIY cave, I put it here.

Well, THAT was easy. Picked up a pair of wild caught BN's from Jvision a couple weeks ago, and built two caves for him to choose from. Used a little imagination as I didn't feel like making the "ceramic tile" caves that are for sale at the auctions. I bought four terra cotta 'plates' that go under the terra cotta flower pots and hit two of them 'just right' with a hammer. Not too subtle, but it worked and chipped out a perfectly sized piece of the 'lip'. A little aquarium safe silicon adhesive around the edges and presto, two pleco breeding caves...

But do they work?

A few days later he had claimed one cave for certain as 'his' and the other one was taken by my Ps. Acei male and one of my Raphael cats (they share nicely, amazingly). So anyways, I left for work on Friday night with no sign of any eggs or even that he knew there was a female in the tank... and came home late tonight and lo and behold, wrigglers all over the darn cave! Papa was all but blocking the opening so I figured something was up, and yup, by the light of a flashlight I could just barely see past him. The cave opening is just barely bigger than he is and apparently it's working like a charm. I was a little concerned that I would have to make a second opening in the cave for flow, but I have powerheads working so there is a flow 'across' the doorway, and he just sticks his tail out of the cave and sways back and forth to direct it into the cave. Problem solved. In a lower flow tank this may not work so hot, but there is a TON of room inside (5" in diameter and 1" high) but with such a small opening it's very secure from the other fish in the tank.

I will get pictures tomorrow and post them, it's a little dark in there right now...

-Sidebar: apparently the Acei likes his cave, too... as every one of my five females is now holding. Only one was when I left four days ago.

This is one part DIY, one part breeding and one part bottom feeders... but since it's bottom feeders breeding in a DIY cave, I put it here.

Well, THAT was easy. Picked up a pair of wild caught BN's from Jvision a couple weeks ago, and built two caves for him to choose from. Used a little imagination as I didn't feel like making the "ceramic tile" caves that are for sale at the auctions. I bought four terra cotta 'plates' that go under the terra cotta flower pots and hit two of them 'just right' with a hammer. Not too subtle, but it worked and chipped out a perfectly sized piece of the 'lip'. A little aquarium safe silicon adhesive around the edges and presto, two pleco breeding caves...

But do they work?

A few days later he had claimed one cave for certain as 'his' and the other one was taken by my Ps. Acei male and one of my Raphael cats (they share nicely, amazingly). So anyways, I left for work on Friday night with no sign of any eggs or even that he knew there was a female in the tank... and came home late tonight and lo and behold, wrigglers all over the darn cave! Papa was all but blocking the opening so I figured something was up, and yup, by the light of a flashlight I could just barely see past him. The cave opening is just barely bigger than he is and apparently it's working like a charm. I was a little concerned that I would have to make a second opening in the cave for flow, but I have powerheads working so there is a flow 'across' the doorway, and he just sticks his tail out of the cave and sways back and forth to direct it into the cave. Problem solved. In a lower flow tank this may not work so hot, but there is a TON of room inside (5" in diameter and 1" high) but with such a small opening it's very secure from the other fish in the tank.

I will get pictures tomorrow and post them, it's a little dark in there right now...

-Sidebar: apparently the Acei likes his cave, too... as every one of my five females is now holding. Only one was when I left four days ago.

Will take some babys when your ready

Excellent Chris I'm looking forward to the pics..