FISH ROOM TO DIE FOR

a1foxes

the past few weekends, I've been at the new house building my fishroom from scratch. literally.

It was a carport, so the concrete pad was there, the roof etc, so all I had to put up were 3 non-

loadbearing walls, sheathing on the outside, and of course finish the inside with insulation,

drywall and ......its wired specifically for me and the needs of my tanks, so no more blown

breakers! yaaaayyyy! We're doing the work ourselves, which is slowing down the move cause

the room has to be ready for the fish, but we're talking 14x32 100% built for fishies, water

available, sealed from the rest of the house to prevent humidity damage, and even a commercial

grade airconditioner/dehumidifier is going in. very sweet set up . I'll try to take some pics and

post the progress....costs are working out to be several thousand so far not including labour, but,

its an investment, we plan on going bigger now so......we're just preparing for it. should be really

cool when its done. Theres a total of 30 or so plugins, all of the GFI because of the usage around

water, and NO cords on the floor this time, neat and tidy and well organized this time around, I

can hardly wait to get the fishies into their new home. I dont have to work right away so I'll get

some time to set them all up and spend some time making sureits done right. I hate moving, I

actually like Calgary, but I cant afford the rents here, to make it means working extra hard and

in that case both my fish and family suffer. Expect to hear ALOT more from me as things get

set up- I will be getting multiple shipments in from various places like Thailand, and south

america so I"ll have lots going on to sell. I hope to set up my own website as well, and supplies

for aquaria will be included in that. I will be making regular trips to Calgary, so doing biz here

isnt a problem.

I"ll post pics soon...

I agree w. Trooper. I did individually protected plugs in my fishroom, but it's only 10x10 and has just 5 plugs. At over $10 ea, I'm already thinking that I should have just put the GFCI at the box.

If you have GFCI at you box if one plug trips the GFCI do you loos all you power? I would not want that if I were importing fish. I would think that if it were to trip on a hot day that you could lose well over the price you would have paid for all the plugs in fish in one shot. Also if you are friends with a contractor you can get them to buy them for you and it will be cheaper.

Brad

I agree w. Trooper. I did individually protected plugs in my fishroom, but it's only 10x10 and has just 5 plugs. At over $10 ea, I'm already thinking that I should have just put the GFCI at the box.

WEll I got a great deal on about7 boxes with 3 GFI receptacles in each- I paid for only one the rest were

freebees. I some some normal receptables along the ceiling in the middle aisle, protected by only 1 GFI in

the circuit, but the total number of plugs stand at about 29, on 5- 15 am breakers. Only 7 plugs per breaker

cause we use power bars as well. We have the option to add 3 more 15 amp breakers to the sub panel,

so if I decide I need more, its not a problem. We ran extra strands for potential future use, even the

dehumidifier/ac will be on its own circuit. the individual price for the gfi receptables was $15 each, glad

I didnt pay for them, but the electrician that put in the sub panel thought it was a great idea given the

use of the room

If you have GFCI at you box if one plug trips the GFCI do you loos all you power? I would not want that if I were importing fish. I would think that if it were to trip on a hot day that you could lose well over the price you would have paid for all the plugs in fish in one shot. Also if you are friends with a contractor you can get them to buy them for you and it will be cheaper.

Brad

funny, you were posting while i was so i didnt read this before. you are right by using gfi at the breaker, the whole circuit

blows, by doing it this way 1, plus the few more in the run will, but everything before would be ok. The plugs are so high

up the wall, like just over 4 feet, theres less likely to be trippage. Yep, my boyfriend is a contractor. He got a deal from

an electrician buddy, I bought most of the other goods but we managed to save 400-500.

Um, if you don't mind me asking. Are you rich?

Nope, but I've been working my @$$ off the last 6 months or so,

extra hours etc, saving where I could, just for this move. Around

Christmas time I was so broke and not working, that I had to get

a hamper so my kids could get something for presents. I was

trying to sell fish like mad but no one would buy anything. THings

changed when I went back to work.

My brother went to work last summer full time when he was 17 and he would have made $10 000 with out taxes he ended up with a round $3000 at the end of summer plus he had to move out of my cusons(sp) house because its haunted and he saw a ghost lol. But if you're like me (crazy) you'll probably spend every penny you get on fish stuff.