Which of my fish can I keep with cichlids?

Guest Master of Puppets

I want to start a cichlid tank but I have to sell or get rid of some of my fish can a clown loach, striped raphael a giant cory go with non-dwarf cichlids? I saw a powder blue and these ones that looked like they produced they're own light (they don't) they're light purple and yellow tipped fins that I'd really like to get.

The powder blue cichlid you are talking about is a mbuna and mbuna are a pretty aggressive fish and are best kept in bigger tanks(40g+). They are also best kept with fish of equal aggression and size. African cichlids arne't a fish that can be mixed in with your current fish in your 20ish gallon tanks.

For some great reading about africans go check out www.cichlid-forums.com

I saw a powder blue ... light purple and yellow tipped fins

Cobalt Blue Zebra & Purple Zebra; these 2 varieties will go together, but only in a tank that's 40 gallons or more, and preferably 4 feet long. Also, you would probably need at least 5 or 6 of each variety to keep the fish from damaging each other.

• 1 month later...

i have a tank with peacocks and a clown loach and it does fine. actually one of the nicest looking clowns i have ever seen. it might be the water or just a good specimen.