Water flow

Guest Master of Puppets

I've always had a problem with crap resting on the leaves of my plants and killling them how can I increase the water current? Wheres the best area to put the filter?

Add a powerhead. I've found that one of the best places to set it is on one of the sides at the back, blowing across the tank (toward the opposite end). It should create a nice current going around your tank.

Add a powerhead. I've found that one of the best places to set it is on one of the sides at the back, blowing across the tank (toward the opposite end). It should create a nice current going around your tank.

Where would you put the powerhead. Top, middle, bottom of the tank?

I put it at the bottom-middle - in the lower 3rd of the tank. I feed CO2 into the powerhead, so having it lower in the tank helps keep the tiny bubbles in the water longer.

From what I've seen the submersible ones aren't cheap........ I've got a Tunze 6025, (the smallest size) cost me $80...... I know you can buy cheaper ones, but they aren't all submersible, and what's the point of adding circulation to the top of your tank......... that's what the filter does.

Are power heads expensive?

They start around $25-$30. You can probably pick up a Zoo Med Power Sweep 214 for about $30-$35. That one pumps 160 Gallon per hour, has a rotating powerhead, venturi, pre-filter and attaches with suction cups. You can put it anywhere you want in your tank. I have a couple myself and they work pretty good.

I've used AquaClear and the Wal-Mart brands w. no problems - they tend to be the cheeper ones. You can usually get a good deal on hardware at AquaGiant, too.

I know you can buy cheaper ones, but they aren't all submersible,

I have never seen a powerhead that was not submersible.

FLIP, if you are concerned with price just keep an eye on the classified forum, you should be able to find a used one for under $20.