Shrimp Tank Cleaning

The little ones don't ever get sucked up in mine. Of course I use a tiny siphon that was given to me by a friend. The little ones always get away from it.

I have my shrimp in a barebottom tank so its easier to clean around the shrimp and I also put my thumb on the end of my syphon so if I see some shrimp getting sucked up I can stop it so they fall back out of the tube.

As Jvision said to me when I asked a similar question last year " soon you will have so many shrimp you won't care if you suck them up" He was right. Now I dont' worry about sucking up the really tiny babies and only worry about the adults and juvies.

Maybe try sticking a piece of net around the suction end of the tube. The gunk might be able to pass through but the shrimp could catch onto the net and not get sucked up. No idea if it works but its worth a try.

I just stick the hose in and siphon out 1/2 the water.... nothing special - I don't even pay attention most of the time. Most of the shrimp stay away once the flow near the siphon gets strong.