Stupid, stupid question......

Stacey

Okay, well I fell kinda dumb asking this............. but does anyone else have a problem with a few pieces of hair wrapped around the impeller shaft stopping a filter?? I've had a Whisper filter stop twice in as many days......... this time I completly took it apart to clean it, and it wasn't that dirty. There was, however, a few hairs wrapped around the impeller shaft. I'd like to know if anyone else has this problem, or should I just replace the filter?? (The Whisper, I think, is not the very highest quality I could've bought)

This long hair is a huge pain in the butt.......... once every few months I have to unclog the sink........ yuck!! ....... and every time I smell burning hair while vaccuuming, I have to stop and cut my hair out of the roller brushes!

Am I the only one here, or do some of you other long-haired folks also experience this??

I have had hair in the drain problems, but neve in a power filter.

You need to stop washing your hair in the tank man , just not good for the fish . LOL

I have long hair and now I'm gonna specificly look for this. At tis time , no , I've never experienced this. I would suggest you could just use a one sided razor blade to cut it free, same with the roller brush on the vacuum.

You need to stop washing your hair in the tank man , just not good for the fish . LOL

That one gave me a giggle..... :thumbs:

It's not difficult to remove the hair, I've just never had this happen before. It's my second-newest filter too, so it shouldn't be wearing out yet. If is stops again, I'll replace it with another brand, toss this one on another tank as a secondary........ the cost of replacing a filter for a 10 gallon is not significant, and it's worth it when I consider I'll be obsessively checking it whenever I walk by the fishroom.

Cant help ya with the hair issue, and I have never used a whisper hang on filter before. But I can say that I still am running an Aquaclear 30 filter that I had on my first 20g tank about 15 years ago.

Ok... ya. This one is getting pinned up as the most hilarious 'trouble' ever.

I would suggest maybe a hairnet while doing your tank maintenance, as a properly designed and effective canopy should be preventing random hairs from falling in the tank unless of course you're a big G'n'R fan and tend to bang your head while dancing over your fish tank. I mean, it's not like they are floating through the air like a cat hair. Human hair is far too thick for that.

So ya, rock the hair net, a toque, hell even a ball cap will help. Try putting on a clean t-shirt right before as you probably have a couple clingers on your shoulders, etc... and I would probably refrain from raising this topic in polite public conversation with fellow fishheads... unless we're drunk. But then no topic with most of us here is ever polite and should be censored from the public - when we're drunk.

We need to get drunk.

PS: I shared this with my wife who up until a few weeks ago rocked the long hair for a number of years in the food service industry. Her suggestion? A pony tail. It'll hold back even the loose hair.

Ok... ya. This one is getting pinned up as the most hilarious 'trouble' ever.

I would suggest maybe a hairnet while doing your tank maintenance, as a properly designed and effective canopy should be preventing random hairs from falling in the tank unless of course you're a big G'n'R fan and tend to bang your head while dancing over your fish tank. I mean, it's not like they are floating through the air like a cat hair. Human hair is far too thick for that.

So ya, rock the hair net, a toque, hell even a ball cap will help. Try putting on a clean t-shirt right before as you probably have a couple clingers on your shoulders, etc... and I would probably refrain from raising this topic in polite public conversation with fellow fishheads... unless we're drunk. But then no topic with most of us here is ever polite and should be censored from the public - when we're drunk.

We need to get drunk.

PS: I shared this with my wife who up until a few weeks ago rocked the long hair for a number of years in the food service industry. Her suggestion? A pony tail. It'll hold back even the loose hair.

Tanker:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You're response to my perfectly serious question just killed me! Makes me seem like Cousin It's

hairier sister! :smokey: ........It was only a couple of hairs actually, but when each hair is about 2 feet long........ well that's still a lot of hair.

The ponytail suggestion is a good one, and it's a method I currently employ when cleaning my tanks.......... but not when feeding, or rearranging etc., so I suppose I should probably pay a little more attention there........

The "head banging G'n'R fan" bit just cracked me right up. :thumbs:

Fishytime: 15 years for an AquaClear filter?? That impressive! I do have an AC filter, but it's only about a month old........ good to hear they work so well, as I was considering another AC to replace the Whisper. Thanks

I've found hair wrapped around my AC impeller before but it didnt' stop the filter. I have long hair and I always wear my hair in a ponytail while doing maintnace but I've still found hair occationally floating thought the tank.

Tanker's suggestions are good ones. Brush your hair before, put in a ponytail and check your shirt of hair before bend over the tank.

But you are defiantely not alone. I find my hair all over the house, why should the tank be any different.

Hmmm - many longhairs on the board I see. Both my significant other and myself have long hair. We have never had a problem during fish maintenence, but a couple of weeks ago the downstairs shower backed up. We had the City come out and THEIR pipes were clean. When Rod ran a snake through our pipes - he said he cannot believe that we have a hair left on our heads!

However, my house was built in 1964, and I doubt this has ever been done. So longhairs throughout the sixties and seventies are probably to blame as well. I shall tell Rod to watch out for this during tank maintenance, though.