Betta pugnax

Slough Shark

Here are a few pics of my new Betta pugnax. Though I earlier posted it as a male, I now believe it to be female... expert opinions anyone? Blackmumba? Anyways, here are the pics, not my highest level of quality, but you can see the fish just the same:

this-2.jpg

andthis-1.jpg

439_3928crop.jpg

Pretty cool fish I think, it changes color just like my Leaffish. I hope I can ind "it" a mate soon, i'd like to see the breeding process with these mouthbrooders.

Taylor

Let me start off I am in no way an expert on Betta's but it is a goal of mine...

Anyways, your fish can grow up to 5'inches ..

there are 7 sub species of Pugnax (nice fish gonna have to get me one too add to my wish list)

The female and juveniles will have two horizontal stripes on up to the side of their heads.

Males will be deeper in color and have a slightly longer anal fin. The male will also have a indistict dark

concentric bars in the caudal fin.

I noticed that your fish has vertical barring, typical of female bettas when ready to mate...

I would guess a female, I haven't yet owned a Pugnax so I really couldn't confirm that it's a he/or a she...

Most betta's do change their color, in fear, for spawning, for letting the group know they are less or more dominate...

I have my female splenden tank, with two PK females and one long fin female together this is what I have observed!

They behave similar to a wolf pack,

Alpha female

then the next in line

then the next in line

You can keep up to 6 females together in a 10 gal tank without problems have some places to hide though they do have their moments .... they will spar at each other at first to determine their place in ranks...

now back to my observation:

The long fin - alpha (she is the largest)

the PK female who loves to jump second in line

and the third female who is always showing her horizontal barring...

Like the wolf, the third female is deminstrating her place at the low end of the group... (putting her tail between her legs) this way the other two don't bother her...

You also can for the Pungnax have a ONE MALE TWO FEMALE RATIO in a 20 gal tank, 5inches each... ! Water cool up to 75 degrees

Tortis do you have more or are you getting anymore in? They sound lovely!

Probably can order more...this one is a specimen I grew out from an order we got in prior to x-mas.

Christian

If you do order more, can you make it for a trio for me (male) (2 females)? I am Edmonton, I am sure I can find some way to get them here...No rush ! I am gonna have to find room for a new tank lol

Edited by BlackMumba

I read that the Males have an Iridescent sheen on the head and have a longer anal fin. Maybe this one is a male?

male.jpg

It could be, its hard to say... it could be a juv male or a female...

I know usually Big Al's has very young fish, except their Betta's in the cups which is really weird...

IF, you can get a picture of the male Tortis has, and compare the anal fin to see...

Hard to know if you don't have both sex's confirmed and see the difference... :unsure:

Here is a link with a male picture, scroll down the page they also have female picture

http://www.ibc-smp.org/species/pugnax.html

Here's a nice photo comparison link

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rhfishtank/37067013/

Edited by BlackMumba