Blister?

FishBrain

I came home tonight to find one of my cobalt blue cichlids dead and stuck in the filter system. It looks like he had blisters on him, or it was the pump slowly sucking him through. his eyes were very bulged and his guts half gone. When I was home at noon everyone was fine and i gave all a little to eat before going back to work. Wondering most of all if the blisters are something I should worry about or if they were from the filter. I will be checking all of my levels tomorrow when I get home.

PLease help! I dont want to lose anyone else

Sorry but it's difficult to respond to limited information, so as to be of help. Pic would be a great asset. I cant see the guts being gone that fast unless someone chowed down on the carcass.

Blisters at this point are going to be difficult to diagnois.

Garhan

wow that is really quite disturbing. maybe it had something to do with the pressure created by the filter forcing blood into selected capilarysmaking them expand and pop forming a blister-like thing.

That's either a hell of a torque on your filter, or something more serious took place. The only thing I've seen like that on a fish, is what's commonly referred to as Nodular disease.

http://www.aquariumpharm.com/disease/nodular.html

The pic on that link above isn't too good, but if you do a google search you should be able to come up with better pics for comparison. I've never seen a dead fish exhibit swollen pustules like that on their skin, even when stuck to a very powerful filter. Difficult to say with any certainty, but it certainly looks nasty.

Sorry about your fish. :(

Not sure about the blister but i have found fish that died before and were sucked to the filter and they had the same "popped" out eyes. Not sure if the filter coudl cause the blisters. By the looks of the curved body the blisters weren't on the filter tube side.

The guts thing was probably afterwards when the fish were eating the dead fish.

Not sure about the Blister. If he looked fien in the morning its hard to beleive they developed that fast.

Well......Thanks.

This info has had me looking and I have been watching everyone in the tank carefully and so far noone else is showing any signs, granted the cobalt never showed any signs that I noticed before. I will keep my eyes open and will let you all know if it shows its ugly face again

Cool.....Well, not but I just finished checking levels and doing the filter. So far no more casualties B)

I wonder if it was just a victim to someone else?

Thanks Rahim, Boy is this place great.

:ml: :ml: