Staying Logged In

As of late I have been having problems staying logged into the site. Everyday or as often as my computer is off and then restarted, I have to reenter my name and password. I used to be able to go for days without entering it, now it is everyday. Is this something new(safety) process??? If not can someone help me to fix it. Thank you. :)

I am having the same problem. At home on dail up and at the office on high speed.

The user name and passwords are stored as cookies I am told. I use a utility called CCleaner that removes cookies, temporary INTERNET files, etc. Ergo, I have to type in the password and user name each time I use CC. This is the same on all of the boards I access. To me, it is a small price to pay for the security and cleaning up the shrapnel from the INTERNET.

Vic

Vic, you're half right, as far as AA goes. Not only does each user's computer store their info in a cookie on their machine, but our server also keeps a 'salt' of each user's last log in, IP, etc in the database. This way if you log in from somewhere other than the last place you log in from, or any part of the salt's equation is different, it hashes out a 'wrong' code and rejects the cookie as offered by the user.

So... in English: this problem may be because your computer has cleared it's cookies (rare to do during an online session unless you have a privacy protection program running constantly in the background) or your IP has changed, your browser version has changed (open a Firefox window while IE is open, etc)(or possibly an Auto Update that would affect it) or a number of other things that can change the salt's info. Since I don't exactly know what the salt looks at each time, it's hard for me to guess... but even a difference in the clock on your PC updating by a second could make the difference. Invision's support team say there isn't anything they changed in the last update to make a difference, but guessed it may be a Vista-thing.

Out of the people who are still having problems, I'd like yo to post the following info, please:

- Opertaing System (XP Home/Pro, ME, 2000, 98 Vista HB/HP/Biz or Ultimate, Linux (which distro) or Mac)

- browser/version (IE/Firefox/Safari/etc and the version is in Help > About...)

There are only three places this can be happening, and that info will start the long and terrible process of narrowing it down. It's either something in all of your computers, on the server or in the software.

I am using two comps with XP home and IE 7. and the work comp is windows 2003 server base with XP Pro on the desk top and I think it is IE 6.

Dose any one else in the military have problems posting from work? At lunch time of course ;)