Glass tops

FishManTy

Ok. These are easily the worst @$@#%$'ING GLASS TOPS EVER!!! I just spent 3 hours working on my fish tank, and the pieces of glass slipped out of the plastic thing a dozen times. They are 2 inches too short, and they don't close all the way. The little handles are too small for the thickness of glass, so they just pop off and fly across the room. #$!@!

Where the hell can I get some REAL glass tops, measuring about 22.5x16.5 (INCLUDING the plastic backing). I don't want this wavy crap either. Man, Im seriously pissed off.

Next question... how the hell do I cut glass? I want to take these old crappy tops and turn them into top for my fry tanks. I got the sanding down pat (Thanks for the tips guys), but now I want to know how to cut it to the size I want.

Please and thank you.

Ty

Yeah, home depot type stores will have them. It looks like a pencil with a cutting wheel at the end.

Its really easy to make glass tops. I got a couple glass tops from J-roc that i cut down to make a bunch of smaller ones for my tanks. Took a couple minutes and i had 3 new tops :)

I got more cuts last night then I have... wait. No I worked at a petstore that liked to store cracked aquariums... I enjoyed leaving blood trails from the cracked aquarium to the sink, then to the bandaids...

Many... I've cut myself probably... 3 dozen times...

I got wonderful luck!

hehe

thanks. I'll phone around on Friday and find somewhere with good tops.

Ty

I was actually thinking about planting a few crypts and Val's in the new tank with wavy glass tops... do you think that it will restrict the light too much???

Ty

any type of glass lid will cause light deflection reducing the amount of useable light available to the plants. Many people , myself included with planted tanks remove the glass completely. It makes a big difference. In your case with that type of glass the useable light would be considerably diminished.

Rick

Many people , myself included with planted tanks remove the glass completely.

If you remove the top wouldn't you increase the chance of water splashing and hitting the bulb causing it to explode? I"ve always been worried about water comming in contact with my bulbs. Are you lights sitting on teh tank or hanging above it?

One is hanging a few inches from the glass (actually attached to my hood), and the other one (36" strip from my 33gallon canopy) is on top of the glass. I plan to go to home depot and get another strip to attach to the underside of the canopy, because jamming that strip under there is proving to be unsafe, as I almost knocked it in last night.

Ty

The wavy glass, eh? It can definately be hard to put the black plastic on. Use gloves, I know what you mean, I've cut myself up good in the past as well. Using this glass will still let the light through o.k. for viewing into the tank, but I have always been curious in the past as to how much light it must reduce. I think they use this stuff sometimes to get rid of waste. If you don't want it, have a glass comp. cut new stuff for you, should cost maybe $20.00?

Suggestion - use a hand held light meter / or the one on any camera - you can do a reading to see how much light is lost passing through any translucient material.

Set the light/lamp 2-3 feet from the camera, do a meter reading. Place the glass/media in front of the light /lamp and take another reading. The light meter will show the difference.

The glass you are refering to is called, I belive, diffuser glass. You may be surprised just how much light this style of glass does absorb.

Any good local glass/windshield shop can supply you with glass cut to your dimensions. 3 or 4 mil. thick glass.

HTH

Smokey