A leak just waiting to develop?

Finbert

I'm bringing all the nonliving stuff for our office aquarium in to work Thursday, and everybody is pretty excited. I think I might have found something that could put a damper (literally!) on our excitement. Along one inside edge of the bottom of the tank, the silicon is pulling away a little bit from the glass. It's not all the way off; maybe about a third of its width is pulling away. It has silicon on both the outside and the inside, and the outside silicon feels quite firmly sealed. Is this the sort of thing that's likely to progress under the pressure of the water and gravel and stuff? Here's a jiggly picture of the problem area (what I get for trying to take no-flash photography without a tripod and after an extra-large double double)

1334393466_919bec386b.jpg

If this is a Very Bad Thing, is there anything I can do to fix it?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

Is there a gap between the glass and the silicone? What size of tank is it?

Sorry, should have given more information.

Yes, there is a gap, that extends a maximum of 2mm underneath the silicon. Where there's a curve in that picture, the third dimension didn't come across very well, but it's the silicon curling up away from the glass. Where it's not pulling away, it feels very firm to the touch. It's a 10gal, and if it's relevant, it's acrylic not glass.

I'm feeling pretty risk-averse, because our break room (where the tank is going) is also our file room.

That's correct; it has a plastic frame all around the bottom and the seal between the frame and the tank feels good and solid. And I have had it sit for 24hours completely full and no leaks. I guess what I'm worried about is whether that loose-ish bit could be an entry point for water to gradually force the silicon and the wall more and more apart. I am also paranoid!

... I am also paranoid!

I know what you mean. I used to have nightmares about tanks breaking. They are in the basement now, so I am sleeping much better :)

Thanks for the reassurance :-)

Even if the tank was glass, it's the silicone between the glass panes that hold it together, not the silicone on the inside of the tank.

Even if the tank was glass, it's the silicone between the glass panes that hold it together, not the silicone on the inside of the tank.

I have a tank same as hers someone has rubbed 3 or 4 inches away cleaning it I assume(used tank)

What is the purpose of the inner silicone then? Should I bother to reseal the 4 inch piece?

A small tank like that does not have a lot of hydraulic or column pressure. If it is holding water I would not worry about it too much. Silicone has a minimal adherance to acrylic and is probably there more for looks than water sealing.

A small tank like that does not have a lot of hydraulic or column pressure. If it is holding water I would not worry about it too much. Silicone has a minimal adherance to acrylic and is probably there more for looks than water sealing.

Heh. It's great to make you feel extra-secure if it's there, but it sure doesn't help when it's not!