Lighting

Slough Shark

Big Al's does have some T-6 bulbs under the brand name of Quantum. They fit in standard T-8 fixtures since the pin configuration is the same. I have been using these in my 10G tanks and the light output is much better than a standard T-8 bulb. Enough that I can easily grow low to moderate light plants.

These are the wavelengths of light that are absorbed by chlorophyll for photosynthesis:

absorption-spectrum.jpg

For plant growth, you want to choose a bulb that emits light in those wavelengths (basically light in both the red and blue parts of the spectrum.) Green and yellow light are the most visible to the human eye. The actinic bulb is pretty much all blue, so it's out. The other 3 Coralife bulbs appear to be fairly similar, so take your pick. The 6700 and 10000K bulbs make everything appear very GREEN (I personally don't like the color.) I haven't seen the Colormax bulb in action, but it should appear less green (and therefore less bright) but should accentuate the red colors in plants/fish.

So... LOL I'm confused. Maybe I should explain this better. I wan't to crow some crypts in my 20 gallon tank, and this is the tank in which I do not have the T5 fixture, so I can get that T6 bulb for it? I think I'd like a green tint, red would be okay too, color really doesn't matter, whatever helps the crypts grow better, as I know nothing about their requirements.

The other bulb is for my 30 gallon tank, in this tank I need to encourage algal growth for the Loaches who are going in there. So basically I need to replicate the sun's rays in a bulb for this one. here is the fixture I was planning on buying for it, unless someone knows of a better one?

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl366...blestriplight36

Thanks for all the help, I am new to "good" lighting as well as plants, so any help is most appreciated.

Taylor

Crypts will do well under just about any light... all they really need is time. The best bulb I've found for algae growth is the sun - if you put the 30 where it'll get direct sunlight, you'll have all the algae you need! Otherwise, leave your lights on for 14hrs/day and you'll see algae in no time.

If you want more light for your 20G AND the current light strip houses T-8 bulbs then yes, you can get the T-6 bulbs from Big Al's and they will fit. I currently use the Quantum Lightning Rod 7000K Daylight bulb in a couple of my tanks. It is the same 15W output as the T-8 bulb it replaced but is much brighter and the light output is pure white.

The Coralife T-5 fixture you've linked to is for SW. In a freshwater tank I would advise gettting the FW version which has 2 6700K bulbs. Or get that one but swap the actinic bulb for another 10000K or a 6700K (which is what I have done). But like jvision said, 14 hours of light a day and you'll have algae regardless of the type of lighting that you use.

That's awesome, I'm so excited to get these tanks finished. LOL I should have known the S/W in the name of that strip light meant something! I guess I will just take the actinic bulb out of that fixture, like you said, and add a 10 000K bulb, or should I add the 6700K? Is there really any difference?

Anyways thanks for all the help,

Taylor

Personal preference but I like the 10000K bulb myself. The 6700K is too yellow. Either should be fine for growing algae. The picture I posted of my 33G in the FW Photography section uses that fixture with one 10000K and one 6700K bulb if you want to see what that looks like: http://albertaaquatica.com/index.php?showtopic=15277.

Edited by thegrandpoohbah