how many fish can i hace

Skinard

hello sorry for the newb question everyone i to talk to is giveing me a differant answer. what i have is a 55gal tank with a fulval 404 and a fluval 3 plus and a Koralia 1. i also have a Hydor ario color 4 ( not sure if it helps or is just for show) so the kind of fish i want are midnight mloto, azuras, red empress, ruby red stuff like that. in a month i would like to upgrade to a 180ish gallon so i am also gonna need advise on the filters for teh one and how many i can stock in it. i was thinking of 2 fx-5 and a few koralia 4's but any imput would be awsom

My advice is to buy for the 55, try out some Africans, and when you get something you like (or don't), then you can switch when you upgrade. There's no way to stuff enough fish for a 180 into a 55, so take some time to try some out and swap or sell later. :)

By no means the "be all, end all" for cichlid set ups, but follow the link below for some ideas.

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/cookie_cutter_55g.php

Get some ideas, and come back for some fine-tweaking.....lots of good African keepers on here. You might even find some of the fish you are looking for right here. :)

sorry i am not that good at saying what i mean. i want to know a good number of fish for a 55g and, then when i get a 180g what is a good number for that tank. my lfs that i have been going to says i can get 45-50 cichlids in a 180. and thats golds aquarium in calgary.

Sounds about right for a 55g. I keep 3 different species of mbuna in a 55. Yellow labs, Rusties, and Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos. I started with groups of 8 for each and thinned out a few extra males. Each group has 1-2 males. Yellow labs(5) Rusties(6) Melanochromis cyaneorhabdos(7) for a total of 18 fish plus a couple of BN's. I have lots of caves for them but they are also easy to remove when I need to catch holding females. I also over filtrate this tank as well. Again it also depends on the footprint of your tank as my 55g is the standard 4 footer. I also have a 55g tank that is a 3 footer which I would put less than 18 fish in it...maybe 10-12.

Allan

Edited by Fishy