The battle continues...

lilwolfe

Don't know if this should go here or in Fish Emergencies.

Well yesterday I went through pulling out 6 more dead fish. I have no clue what's getting them so fast. It's like my 29g tank is crashing, and no matter how many water changes or anything else I do....they keep going on to fishy heaven. I pulled out another 7 fish today. I finally have caught up all the honey gourami fry in my ten gallon and put them in a breeder net and attached filters to the back of the tank....and put any of the strong looking survivors from the 29 g (which include 1 keyhole cichlid, 1 HRP, 3 panda cory, 1 spotted cory, 3 honey gourami, two emporer tetra, 1 synadontis, 1 long fin goby, 3 otocinclus and 1 clown pleco). There is still one spotted cory that is eluding me in the 29, as well as my common pleco. I know the ten gallon is overstocked....but with water changes I'm hoping that the survivors will hold on until I can tear down and start the 29 g over from scratch. I have no idea if something got into the water that shouldn't be there, though I doubt it being as anybody who has been to my place lately knows not to mess with my tanks.

I've pretty much decided, to start the 29 g over again.....which means getting rid of everything in it (the gravel, and any plants that aren't doing well at all), I'm going to boil the drift wood and rocks.....and sterilize the tank the best i can. As for the filter, I'll be getting rid of all the media inside of it, and starting from scratch. I'll be purchasing new substrate, and was wondering what people suggest for a good substrate (gravel or sand?). I'm also deciding if I want to get more fish in the future (after the tank has cycled) or if I won't.

Just to think it's almost been a full year since my 35g tank disaster last year. looks like September is a bad fish month for me. :boom:

Any ideas, help, sanity.....would be appreciated.

I know how fustrating something like this can be, I myself am going through the same thing. I spent a lot of money time and energy on getting fish from Thailand, to almost loosing them all to this camellanus thing.

I accidentally overdosed my betta's during a treatment. I did loose two fish, all my fish are on their sides on the bottom of the tanks, that was three days ago. I gave all the tanks a 100% water change, now the betta's aren't on the bottom but slowly recovering. I can handle the loss of some of the Guppies, but certainly not my Betta's. Especially my thai babies.

I didn't give up as I was so angry and fustrated, i even held my babies to the surface so they can breathe in fresh air... Some are still laying on the bottom of the tanks, but they are showing me life that they want to live... so I am going with nature and letting them fight a good fight... I think I have made the best decision.

I think you shouldn't give up on something you enjoy, but learn from the experience and make notes of what has happened... maybe it was something in the water, these things can happen.

As, for sand or gravel, rocks or no rocks, its really up to you on what you decide... I know that I am going for me who I am in decor... most go with bio-type, I go for what says me, yet is natural for the bi0 look...

I was also checking my betta babies, I have alot of them... if your going for the betta's let me know, I am sure I can handle letting a pair of my babies go with you... they would be a sibling pair... apparently siblings are the best for breeding betta's...

Anyways, don't give up hope because of a couple hiccups... :) :beer:

Your re-done tanks might prove more delightful !

Edited by BlackMumba

that is true. it's just frustrating. last year I lose my entire 35 gallon tank to my living room floor at 5 am. and this year I lose my fish. <AGGGGG!!!!!> But I will start up the 29g again. I love my fish that have survived dearly, I just want this crap to end. I need to re evaluate my Betta habitats before I take on any more bettas. At least my husband is understanding, and pretty much giving me free reign of my debit card to buy new gravel and stuff for this tank. I don't know how he puts up with it. Baby birds, baby fish....more fish. <shrugs>

well I'll keep you updated.

Sending hugs and strong-fish vibes in your direction.

And, holy $@#! your 35gal all over your living room? Yikes!

ya, the survivors are looking a little happier in the 10 g right now. It must be something that got into the water in that tank.

Ya I'm glad the 35 g was only a 35g and not the 90 g that I wanted to buy.

Here is the link to that unfortunate day:

35g tank on my living room floor.

The nice part about all this (cause I guess you have to try and look at the bright side) is that I get to redesign my tank and start with an empty canvas. I'm thinking I might get some (10 or so) neons to put in there. something that schools. Or I may not. I'm not sure. I would love to get more keyhole cichlids, but being as I don't make it to calgary very often they are harder to come by.

Good Luck in restarting. Unless I've misread/misunderstood something, my biggest concern would be the cycling process with a heavily stocked tank as that could start a whole new mess.

Is there anyplace you can farm out some of your fish while you slowly cycle?

Edited by nicolalex

Ok wait a second here.... I dont want to flame you in any way but how many fish did you have in this 29g tank? Sounds to me like you may have had it overstocked. What are you running for filters?

I have a fluval 305 on that tank. It's good for up to 100 g. I've never had problems with my water quality in the past. I do my regular water changes....and have never had a problem.

Good Luck in restarting. Unless I've misread/misunderstood something, my biggest concern would be the cycling process with a heavily stocked tank as that could start a whole new mess.

Is there anyplace you can farm out some of your fish while you slowly cycle?

That tank was infected with camellanus worm. I'm not going to spread that around. the tank I have them in for temporary, has been cycled a long time ago. and I currently have it more than adequately filtered not to mention I'm doing water changes on it. All the fish seem fine, and I'm not going to cycle the 29g tank with these fish. I usually get a couple cheap feeders to cycle my tanks. I have cycled this 29g tank fully stocked once before. Refer back to my earlier post with the link to my broken fish tank episode. All the fish pulled through fine. They seemed to do well, and I kept close check on their water quality. I'm not trying to be rude....so don't take my response as such. I'm just doing the best with what I've got.