Agressive BN?

EowynJane

Anyone here ever had experience with an agressive BN?? My BN sometimes chases my platies... I usually think he's just being territorial. But last night I came home to find a platy mutilated and dead (my favorite one of course). I've never had anything like this happen before, I really wish I had been home to see what happened. The only thing I can think of is that the BN chased her and she was terrified so tried wedging herself into a really small space.. my castle ornament maybe? She was missing a ton of scales but I don't see how that would be enough to kill her.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else had any experience here and what they did about it? Would another cave help? More food? Or is he just demented and seriously territorial?

Edited by EowynJane

I had a BN that would push Mbuna out of the way for food. IME, they don't take much guff.

What size of tank is it? IMO, an adult male BN should have at least a 3' long tank. That being said, if there are enough caves and flow, you could get away in a 2' tank.

• 2 weeks later...

He gets algae wafers, blanched zuchinni and he used to get shrimp pellets but I've run out of those. I think the main problem is because the platies will eat anything they often go after his food. It's a 20 gallon, I'm not sure of the exact length (I'm not at home right now) and with the driftwood and what not he has 1 "cave" and at least 2 other hiding spots.

He gets algae wafers, blanched zuchinni and he used to get shrimp pellets but I've run out of those. I think the main problem is because the platies will eat anything they often go after his food. It's a 20 gallon, I'm not sure of the exact length (I'm not at home right now) and with the driftwood and what not he has 1 "cave" and at least 2 other hiding spots.

Try dropping the BN Pleco food at night when the lights are out.