20 Gallon Stocking

Slough Shark

I don't know what to put in my 20 Gallon tank. I am trying to try something other than Asian fish, most likely African Cichlids (not Rift Lake) or maybe SAs. I would like to try something more challenging, but wouldn'y mind something that breeds easily eaither.

For Africans...

I thought maybe Kribs, but I have seen pics on the net of "Buffalo Head Cichlid" which I find very attractive. Anyone know how easy it is to find them, price?

For SAs...

A 20 Gallon is probably too small for angles, so dwarf cichlids are my last option for SA cichlids I suppose. Previously I was throwing around the idea of breeding convicts, but my friend has that covered now.

For those who are wondering why I'm not going through with my Nee Soon Swamp Biotope plans for the 20g, I decided to move that to the 10 Gallon as there is no need in wasting the space of the 20 gallon for one leaffish.

My Tanks:

30 gallon- River Community Tank

20 gallon- yet to be decided

10 gallon- Mersing or Terengganu (Malay Peninsula) Swamp Biotope

6 gallon- Shrimpery (Cardina sp. most likely)

So that's where I stand with my tank stocking now, and any help deciding what to do with the 20 gallon would be great,

Taylor

The Buffalo Head (Steatocranus casuarius) was on my list a long time ago. I wanted a to setup a river biotop with swift water. A 30 gallon long tank powered by a couple of FX 5 would be cool :smokey: I am not sure if a 20 gallon would be enough for these guys though. I beleive they prefer to be in groups. I have once seen a biotop with these in a long tank with just sand and a few rocks for cover against the current. Very cool.

The Lamprologus congoensis is also an interesting fish, so is the Teleogramma depressum. Also check out the Nanochromis parilus.

Oooh that depressum is amazing! Doesn't look like a very common fish though. Thanks for info on the Buffalo heads, I'll scratch them off the list. And thanks FLIP on reccomending the Kribs.

I would also like to add that I wouldn't mind any reccomendations on unusual fish either, I do have a bit of a sweet eye for them.

I keep my breeding pairs of angels in planted 20 gallon talls with a few otocinclus and have no issues. You could also add some corys for a bit of activity.

Hmmm, I may have to go with the Angels because I don't have a planted tank yet, and I would love to do another biotope. Those africans do look great, but I've been wanting to try my hand at some angels for a while now. It looks like most of those Cichlids go with a river-type setup, and I already have one of those.

So thanks Nick and thanks Patrick for the input!

P.S. Has anyone seen any Red Angels? If not what about Half Black Angelfish?

Thanks,

Taylor

I did some searching and found that Red Angels are rare and when they can be found, they are usually quite expensive, so maybe I will just get some Koi angles or something, what kind of Angels are all of those fry you've got Nick?

Thanks for all the replies guys,

I don't think I really want any africans now that I've mulled it over a bit. For most African Biotopes, you can't do much for plants and I already have a rocky tank, and a tank that is full of driftwood. The looks of the fishes that Patrick posted really caught my eye, but I can't say that those Pseudocrenilabrus sp, really did much for me, thanks for the input though. I also don't admire the look of Shellies as much anymore, don't know why, I've probably seen too many pictures of them!!

As for the small plecos and cories, well I thought about that, but I figured- just as with the leaffish- a 20 Gallon is too much room for these fish, a 10 gallon would seem to be a more efficient use of space. I think I will just put a single pair of angels in the tank. Though if I get tired of breeding the Angels, I'll probably add more SA fish to the tank.

Thanks guys, looks like it will be a planted/angel breeding tank,

Taylor

what kind of Angels are all of those fry you've got Nick?

I have mostly blushing angel juvies right now, but I do have some up and coming marble angels within a month or so.

Might have to get a pair of marbles off you if I can. But I'm also looking at these Cichlids: HRP, T-Bar, or Rainbow Cichilds. I'm especially interested in the Rainbow Cichlids, but T-bars follow closely behind. Anyone know how available these are? Prices?

I was also wondering if I could fit a pair of Blue Dempseys (Not Jacks) in the tank? Of course i don't mean to put any of these together, if anything, it would be a single pair of one of these species (Angels, T-bars, HRPs, or Rainbows).

Thanks guys, I'm not settled on the Angels anymore, it's tough to choose, but the rainbow Cichlids look awesome.

Taylor

but the rainbow Cichlids look awesome.

I have 3 for sale right now sex unknown, but a twenty gallon would only fit 2. Also they enjoy plants as a major food group.

I also have a pair (m/f) of HRPs in a 20 gallon that don't bother my plants. You can have them fo $10 if you want.

I had my pair of adult rainbow cichlids in a 20g and found it a bit small for them. The female was a bit stressed from the male. They did a bit better in my 25g which is 30" long, so a 20g Long might work. They are very nice cichlids though. I now have my pair in my planted tank with angels. I havent' found that the rainbows eat my plants. They sometimes pick at the algae growing on them but I've never seen them hurting the plants.

I say for a 20g go with the HRPs. If I had a spare tank I'd defiantely be getting some :)