Over Breeding

Aquatic_Addiction

If you have room, removing them for a break and to put on some weight is always a good idea if they are not getting a chance to eat in between three week holding sessions.

Like Darcy said, removing to feed on their own for a couple weeks is a good idea. It may be a better idea, depending on the number of males you have, to remove the males though. Sometimes the females will get pretty beat up when you put them back (just like introducing any new fish to an established cichlid tank), as the pecking order etc. has changed since they were removed. I've got a group of Ps. saulosi that are breeding non-stop, but I haven't taken any fry from them for months and even though the females are holding 3-4 weeks, none are getting particularly thin yet.

Thanks, the females haven't gotten thin yet. so I guess that's a good sign. I have one Eureka who is holding right now and should spit any day. I think I will move her into a recovery tank for a few weeks and see how the re-introduction goes from there.

Thanks again

~~Ray~~

I have removed females that are breeding non-stop. Its a good idea to do if they look rather thin. After a female has spit her fry, I usually seperate her right away into another quarantine tank and let her feed on her own for 3-4 days before putting her back in with the breeding group.

Allan