Stocking suggestions for my office tank

patrick

I am going to completely redo my 8 gallon tank that I have in my office at work and was hoping for your valuable input :)

Here's a couple of setups that I am considering:

1. Killies, shrimp, plants, floating plants (to dim the light), driftwood and maybe some peat on the bottom.

2. Endlers, lots of plants, driftwood, shrimp, and maybe some dwarf corys.

3. White Cloud minnows, lots of plants, a few shrimp.

Any suggestions?

Seems like you are going with shrimp -ham- I like the idea of endlers and dwarf cories, and possibly a couple of otocinclus negro.

option #4

Nano reef tank w/ shrimp and maybe Ocellaris clown

Option #4

Tried that already. Too many problems with heat (it's a BioCube) and when I had the lid open there was too much evaporation during long weekends. Would work if it was at home, but not for the office.

Seems like you are going with shrimp -ham- I like the idea of endlers and dwarf cories, and possibly a couple of otocinclus negro.

Thanks for the Otocinclus suggestion. First I though that I will never find any of those around here but then I recalled seing some at Natures :)

Auto top off :smokey:

Lol yes that would work but no :tongue: . It was just too much for the office I think, especially during long weekends and if I had a few days off. The small BioCube's have serious problems with heat. I had an extra powerhead in it and even with the lid open, and air conditioned office, the temp was at 28-29C. Without the powerhead the temp was just about right but the circulation sucked, so I converted it to a FW tank. It's not because I don't like SW, I've had several SW tanks ranging between 50-150 gallon, but this setup was too small and sensitive for my taste.

Edited by patrick

Love the Killes, though you'd have to find a species that likes to be in your face, rather than hiding in a mop. Got some Aphysemion striatum almost ready to hatch.... :rolleyes:

Have you thought about Long-finned White Clouds? Gorgeous little fishies that *are* in your face. Soon will be ready to go.... ^_^

Endlers... how many would you like? :smokey:

Love the Killes, though you'd have to find a species that likes to be in your face, rather than hiding in a mop. Got some Aphysemion striatum almost ready to hatch.... :rolleyes:

Have you thought about Long-finned White Clouds? Gorgeous little fishies that *are* in your face. Soon will be ready to go.... ^_^

Endlers... how many would you like? :smokey:

Oh you are great help, pretty much suggesting all three options lol. I have never seen long finned white clouds. I will have to check up on those. Are they "natural" or have they been bred to have long fins?

I looked at the Aphyosemion striatum. Beautiful fish!

Edited by patrick

Oh you are great help, pretty much suggesting all three options lol. I have never seen long finned white clouds. I will have to check up on those. Are they "natural" or have they been bred to have long fins?

At least I didn't also suggest option #4 :tongue:

The Long-finned White Clouds I'm *assuming* are man-made; they have longish veily fins: caudal, dorsal and pectoral, but they really don't look tacky. They can swim normaly, etc. Pretty well all the long fins do is provide a larger area for the brilliant colours.

Option #1 is what I would pick myself, however if the cube is having heat issues the killies may not do well, considering they like lower temperatures. White clouds would look great, especially the non-gold variety, they turn quite red when they are mature (at least ours did) and were very beautiful.

Another option could be peacock gudgeons. They are very pretty, not too big. Might eat the shrimp though...

Or perhaps cardinal tetras, or rasboras?