Hello from Calgary!

DiscusKeeper403

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum, but not new to fish keeping. I own a 50 gallon Discus tank, with the inhabitants being 5 Discus, and 5 red eye tetra. I have two hang on filters (aqua clear and liberty) added up to 120 gallons of filtration, I do water changes once a day (20%.) The tank is bare bottom, with a few plants.

My other tank is a 10 gallon, with one figure 8 puffer. It is brackish, with a specific gravity of 1.006. The filter is a hang on aqua clear 20, and water changes are done once a week (30-50%.)

I have been in the hobby for about 3 years, and have worked in a few locally owned shops in the aquatics section (one being in the Caribbean!)

At the moment I am working at Pisces Pet Emporium! (Not sure if I was allowed to say that or not... :unsure: )

Anyways, thought I would say a little about myself, and I look forward to using the forum!!

Cheers,

DL

Hello and welcome.

Of course you can mention that you work at Pisces.

Just don't post any reveiws about Pisces or any other stores thankyou.

Tell me...what was the selection of fish like in the store in the Caribbean?

Not great to be honest. Most of the stuff we carried were more of the community fish, along with some african/south american cichlids and of course goldfish. We had about 20 freshwater tanks, and maybe 15 salt water, most of the salt water came from the Pacific. Although I don't know much about saltwater fish.

We couldn't get predatory fish like snake heads, Oscars where hard to get, and some other Cichlids and Arrowana. Also, aquatic plants weren't allowed. Discus came in, but always in bad shape. Aquatic supplies was also limited in some aspects.

Edited by DiscusLova

Hello and welcome.

Not great to be honest. Most of the stuff we carried were more of the community fish, along with some african/south american cichlids and of course goldfish. We had about 20 freshwater tanks, and maybe 15 salt water, most of the salt water came from the Pacific. Although I don't know much about saltwater fish.

We couldn't get predatory fish like snake heads, Oscars where hard to get, and some other Cichlids and Arrowana. Also, aquatic plants weren't allowed. Discus came in, but always in bad shape. Aquatic supplies was also limited in some aspects.

I guess that would make sense.

You wouldn't want introduce a Snake head into their ecosystem.

Eitherway welcome and i hope you enjoy your time here. :beer:

:welcome: Welcome to Alberta Aquatica

Hello and welcome.

I guess that would make sense.

You wouldn't want introduce a Snake head into their ecosystem.

Eitherway welcome and i hope you enjoy your time here. :beer:

Yes, that was the big problem. Lots of people would call in asking if it would be okay to discard there unwanted salt water fish into the ocean :shock: