Fish prices dropping with the better dollar?

duh duh duh

I have to admit my disappointment that I haven't seen the price of fish drop since the dollar has gotten better.

Since I understand most of the suppliers are located in the USA I'd hoped to see prices drop. I haven't seen it. What drops I have seen are more a function of increased supply (see albino b/n pleco) rather than passing upon savings to consumer based on a consistant markup. I shouldn't have to pay $5.00 for a male guppy.....or so I thought...

Is anyone aware of pet stores that seem to have dropped their prices across the Board since the dollar's got better?

Edited by duh duh duh

I haven't seen it yet. In any retail setting let alone a fish store. The company I work for hasn't lowered our prices either. We aren't your standard retailler, but our prices aren't coming down anytime soon. Unfortunately, IMO, the trickle effect as far as the new purchasing power of the CAD hasn't reached the average consumer yet. Probably won't until the new year at the earliest.

I actually just asked a few americans on a different forum if the prices are different now, it seems the only place with good deals (actually amazing deals) are the asian fish markets they were talking about at the september ACE meeting.

There appears to be more and more people that think all fish and supplies come from the US. Well that's not the case as there are Canadian suppliers as well as overseas suppliers that alot of the LFS use. Not to mention there are other factors that dictate price, such as air freight mentioned by Christian, handling, packaging, customs, weather, losses, overhead, staff, etc. When retailers are competing with construction and the oil patch for staff that will have a significant impact as well.

There appears to be more and more people that think all fish and supplies come from the US. Well that's not the case as there are Canadian suppliers as well as overseas suppliers that alot of the LFS use. Not to mention there are other factors that dictate price, such as air freight mentioned by Christian, handling, packaging, customs, weather, losses, overhead, staff, etc. When retailers are competing with construction and the oil patch for staff that will have a significant impact as well.

you mean i cant get $30 per hour to work in a lfs. :mad: j/k back to bangin tin i go

There appears to be more and more people that think all fish and supplies come from the US.

Regardless of origin, are fishes & supplies traded in US$?

Although not a vendor of fish and supplies, I would believe so as most other consumer goods are purchased in USD around the world. Unfortunately, canadian importers and retailers have to pay a fair amount more in tariffs and tax's when importing goods to Canada. (as reported by Peter Mansbridge on The National last night)

I actually heard on the radio today that the retailers plan on selling all their old stock with previous dollar prices before they start to lower, so prices might eventually lower a bit.

I am hoping that around Christmas I can have my retail web site opened up.

Since i have not bought any stock yet I will not have the sell off of old stock to deal with.

When it comes to Aquarium stuff I have found that alot of it comes from Europe and Asia so there is little influence from the American dollar.

I am hoping that around Christmas I can have my retail web site opened up.

Since i have not bought any stock yet I will not have the sell off of old stock to deal with.

When it comes to Aquarium stuff I have found that alot of it comes from Europe and Asia so there is little influence from the American dollar.

as stated above however, it doesn't matter what internet site you go to, they all seem to sell in US dollars.

Old stock at these prices.....? I dunno...the dollar's been high for a while now and the stock seems to be turning over at most places.

Call me a skeptic, but I just don't see the savings being passed on down to the consumer - not just at aquarium shops, but in any industry.

Call me a skeptic, but I just don't see the savings being passed on down to the consumer - not just at aquarium shops, but in any industry.

Sadly, there may be no savings...with oil hitting $90+ a barrel, shipping and manufacturing cost increases will likely wipe out any savings the strong loonie would have given us.