Recommend a CO2 System

Shai

I need to add CO2 to my 55g. I'm not entirely convinced I want to do DIY--I've heard too many disaster stories about the yeast mixture siphoning into the tank.

I want something easy, hassle-free, and relatively cheap. I've heard a few good mutterings about Hagen's Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System, but I'd need at least two of them for my tank. Is there anything else I could consider? In another thread in this forum, some people were talking about having their cannisters refilled at welding supply shops or the local Coke distributor. What's involved with a system like that?

I just switched to a cannister CO2 system and love it. Before that I was doing DIY and found it a hassle and I never really reached an adequate CO2 level with it(except in my smaller tanks). I wouldnt' go back to DIY, the cannister was worth the investment.

I was worried about getting a cannister because I knew nothing about them but they are super easy to use. I picked up my tank and regulator from Nature's corner. I have the milwaukee regulator that has the solenoid, regulator and bubble counter all in one. It was about 125$

So if you have a larger tank >30g then I would recommend a CO2 cannister. With bigger tanks DIY co2 it can't seem to get to high enough co2 levels.

And remember christmas is just around the corner :) Perhaps santa will bring you a cannister :smokey:

I have the milwaukee regulator that has the solenoid, regulator and bubble counter all in one. It was about 125$

I kind of suspected it would be hard to use DIY on my 55g. But $125 is kinda more than I wanted to spend (Santa can't afford it either)--but maybe I can save for it. How much do the refills cost and where do you get that done? Some of the people in the other threads were talking about having to rent their cannisters?

With this kind of setup, can you plug the tube that releases the CO2 bubbles into a powerhead?

Just the regulator costed 125$, the cannister is extra. Depending on what size you get they can range in price. My whole system cost 250$(for the milwaukee regulator and the cannister). Someone was selling a cheap CO2 system in the buy/sell forum just a little while ago, it might still be available.

With this kind of setup, can you plug the tube that releases the CO2 bubbles into a powerhead?

yes, you can run the tubing into a powerhead. I have mine connected to a small elite mini filter. You can also buy special CO2 diffusers or even use a very fine airstone.

If you search the non LFS stores (welding supply, Princess Auto, etc.) you can piece a pressurized system together for less than $150 - less if you rent, I believe. Refills generally cost around $1/lb.

Another option is to suppliment your DIY with Seachem Excel. BTW, Hagen's system is yeast + sugar - the only thing worth buying is the ladder, IMO.

My whole system cost 250$(for the milwaukee regulator and the cannister).

Ouch. : ) Thanks for the info though. I'm going to check into Jason's suggestion first--and keep this in the back of my mind.

If you search the non LFS stores (welding supply, Princess Auto, etc.) you can piece a pressurized system together for less than $150 - less if you rent, I believe. Refills generally cost around $1/lb.

This sounds like a great option. Could I follow the description on this page to price it all out? I notice that page still refers to DIY or other CO2 reactor. If I want to plug the tubing into a powerhead to get the bubbles into the tank, do I still need a reactor?

Using this on one tank, and it is working very well...unfortunately, you are looking at about $200 for the system.

Still worth keeping in mind! Thanks. : )

This sounds like a great option. Could I follow the description on this page to price it all out? I notice that page still refers to DIY or other CO2 reactor. If I want to plug the tubing into a powerhead to get the bubbles into the tank, do I still need a reactor?

That's the way to go. If you're going to pump into a powerhead, you don't need a reactor, IME; however, there are some DIY reactors that still use a powerhead... try googling Tom Barr - see what he has going on.

BTW, I opted for the $200 kit from NC... I was going to piece it all together, but got lazy.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you need to fit the cylinder beneath the tank? If so, you will probably have to go with a 5 or 10lb. The bigger they are, the longer they last, and the cheaper they are to fill.

There's about 14" of vertical space under the tank to work with. But I don't have to put the cylinder there--it could go beside the tank in the corner on the floor. I could put up a decorate screen or something to hide it.

• 3 weeks later...

New question. I'm leaning towards buying the package setup from Red Sea, the one that comes in at $180 from Big Als. Red Sea makes two versions of this sytem, one that takes a "standard" CO2 cylinder, and another for the same price that takes a paintball cylinder.

Which type of cylinder is better/most cost effective/easier to get refilled?

This thread probably belongs in the Equipment forum, sorry...

Which type of cylinder is better/most cost effective/easier to get refilled?

This thread probably belongs in the Equipment forum, sorry...

The bigger cylinder is more cost-effective to fill (and easy, if there is a welding supply or AirLiquide nearby)...usually $10 for a 10lb, but the cylinder itself is not cheap (Nature's Corner is probably the most reasonable at about $100)...and much cheaper to buy locally than to have shipped from anywhere. My local paintball place sells filled 20oz cylinders for $30, and refills are $5 each....at 1.5 bubbles per second, a $5 fill seems to last a good 40-45 days....a 5lb tank should last a good 6 months at a similar rate.

The bigger cylinder is more cost-effective to fill (and easy, if there is a welding supply or AirLiquide nearby)

That's what I figured. :D No trips planned to Edmonton in the near future though... Can a person buy a 10lb or similar sized cylinder at AirLiquide?