aqarium quality

geleen

Being fairly new at this fish (obsession?) :shifty: I hope this is not too stupid a question. :blush:

I am looking to purchase an additional, new (or perhaps used) 60- 70 gal, primarily to be used as a discus tank.

Basically a rectangle used as a room divider.

My questions are if there are any know quality issues that one should consider.

Such as glass quality and thickness.

Are some manufactures better than others?

Is the longer footprint better ( 3 or 4"?)

My wife is very worried about used equipment, how great is the danger in springing a leak ?

Thanks for your thoughts

John

Edited by geleen

I'd rather buy something used from someone I trust than brand-new. If the previous owner can say, I've had it x years and it's never leaked and it was still full this morning, I just drained it for you now, you know you're safe as long as you don't damage it getting it home. On the other hand, with a brand-new one, chances of manufacturer's defects are slim, but nobody will have had the chance to find out about it before you.

Are some manufactures better than others?

Is the longer footprint better ( 3 or 4"?)

The short answer to question 1 is yes. I would look for a tank from oceanic or concept aquariums. I know that Big Al's and Family Pet Super Center in Sherwood park sell oceanic. and I think Natures corner and aquarium enthusiast sell concept aquariums.

As for question 2 there is no true answer. If you want to keep a schooling fish with your discus a 4' foot print would be best you can also get them any where from 40 to 120g. if you just want discus and are short on space then a 3' foot print would be better. for the foot print it is as much personal preference as it is functionality.

When I buy aquariums, if I'm getting a large tank I buy new but for smaller tanks I'll buy used.

Getting used aquariums is usually safe if you know what to look for. Make sure to check the silicone and look for any chips or cracks. Also ask if the tank has been left empty for long periods of time which could weaken the silicone.

As for the footprint question. I always go for the bigger footprint. It gives more room for territories and swimming. But there are some exceptions that do need taller tanks. Angelfish and discus appreciate a taller tanks, so for them I'd rather go wtih a 18"high shorter tank instead of a 12"tall long tank.

As stated by canucklehead the thicker the glass the better not only is the surface area larger for bonding but the glass itself is stronger. 1/4" glass versus 3/8" glass has approximately double the strength