My Blue Dolphins spawned for me :)

Krystle

The male knocked up both the females about 3 weeks ago. I stripped one of the females tonight and have a ton of little blue dolphins :D Last count was around 60 :) I'm new to baby cichlids so wish me luck!

7xaf1j8.jpg

73o3l7l.jpg

That is exciting. I bred blue dolphins for two years and sold hundreds of fry in Alberta. My largest spawning was 95 fry! I sold my breeding group in the spring but kept a few fry that are almost mature. They are a great fish to have. What size tank are you using?

Edited by punman

Thanks everyone :) You know what's really crazy? The female I stripped is already spawning with the male again o.O

Punman, the dolphins are in a 48 long right now with the babies in a breeding net. I got these dolphins as fry from a saskatoon auction, so now that they're all grown up and spawning for me I'm all proud lol. I plan on moving the contents of the 48 to a bigger tank as soon as an affordable used one pops up.

And I'll see if I can get any pics of the proud parents :thumbs:

I'd get those fry out of that breeding net ASAP!!! The parents will pick at the fry through the net killing them, and overnight you can lose every single one; their bodies can even get sucked right through the mesh, leaving nothing left. This can even happy with older fry picking at smaller fry in a breeding net, so I'd never recommend anyone to use them for cichlid fry!

Congrats on the spawn!

I'd get those fry out of that breeding net ASAP!!! The parents will pick at the fry through the net killing them, and overnight you can lose every single one; their bodies can even get sucked right through the mesh, leaving nothing left. This can even happy with older fry picking at smaller fry in a breeding net, so I'd never recommend anyone to use them for cichlid fry!

Congrats on the spawn!

:/ Uh oh :( I did lose about 1/4 of the fry last night, I woke up to a bunch of tiny dead bodies in the net so that's probably what happened, hey? The other babies still left are looking good. I don't really have anything to move them to atm tho :( I have a little tiny 2.5 gallon critter keeper, but I have no way to filter it or keep it warm...

If anyone has a tank between 10 and 30 gallons for sale that I could use as a fry tank, that would be a big help!

P.S. Here are pics of the adults :)

87d5rgh.jpg

85fftvm.jpg

Edited by Guppylove1985