algae build up

tikka223

I have two tanks both have the same filter , lights, and are at the same temp. They are both on the same wall in the same room receiving the same amount of natural sunlight. One tank has a severe algea problem while the other tank is perfectly free of algea. The tank with the algea problem has Angel fish , Gouramis, Bolivian rams, BN pleco, Goldnugget pleco, and Albino High fin pleco. The other tank has Tiger barbs, Gouramis, Rainbow sharks, Sailfin Pleco, and an Albino BN pleco. Anyone with ideas as to why this is happening would be apprectiated. I would like to clean up this problem. The tank with the problem is 40 gallons, the tank that is clear is 30 gallons. Thanks Shane

Do you have lights on the tank? The larger tank may have older/newer bulbs. Could be the occupants - that sailfin plec isn't going to leave any algae to waste! BNs are usually really good at taking care of algae on the glass, too, but don't really touch hair algae.

Something Different......

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=777

Otto link.....

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/speci...?species_id=106

p.s. the ottos are really cute and do well in groups.

Do you have lights on the tank? The larger tank may have older/newer bulbs. Could be the occupants - that sailfin plec isn't going to leave any algae to waste! BNs are usually really good at taking care of algae on the glass, too, but don't really touch hair algae.

Yes, both tanks have the same lights less than a month old. The Sailfin is in the clear tank. NO Algea. The BN is trying his best to keep the glass clean but he is just a baby and can't keep up. Bought him some help today in the form of 4 Otocinclus. We will see how they work. Thanks for your imput Shane

Maybe get some Otocinclus. I have been having a problem with alge as well especially hair alge. Picked up 6 of these little guys for my 33 and all the hair alge was gone in like 4 days. They work fast and are cute.

Allicia

Thanks for the idea. Bought 4 today so we will see how the do. Thanks again Shane

I love my Otos - I actually have to put extra food in for them, they eat the algae so fast. Being cute, staying small, and being totally gentle and passive are other traits I find really endearing in them. I hope yours work out as well for you as mine have for me.

ps they're also really good at eating the brown algae.

Edited by Finbert

• 2 weeks later...

Oto cats are not big on eating green algae, but prefer diatoms and other micro-organisms, but they are awesome little fish and I'm sure you'll like the addition to your tank.

I'm thinking that it is more of a fish waste production thing and or your feeding patterns. Gravel, rocks and wood could also add nutrients that is helping the algae poliferate. If a tank with plecos has wood in it, the plecos (many species) will eat the wood and the stuff that grows on it, inturn creating an abundance of waste. If the gravel is coarse, food and fish waste will get down into it, building up nutrients that the algae uses.