Hello

bottomdweller_fan

My name is Deborah and I have been in and out of aquariums and terrariums for about 15 years. My husband is FrogFan23 and he raves about this forum so I thought I would get involved.

I currently have a 75 gallon tank with 2 ropefish (they are great!), 2 giant oto's (Hypoptopoma sp.), 4 regular otos, 2 negro otos, 1 Spotted Raphael catfish, 2 Synodontis petricola catfish, 1 Syndontis multipunctatus catfish, a number of striped and black kuhli loaches (they are great but I never see them), 2 Red-tail banded loaches, and some livebearers (to entertain and feed the ropefish!).

I am fascinated by loaches (particularly the hillstream species) and catfish. I am hoping to set up a 40 gallon "river tank" for hillstream loaches and would appreciate any DIY tips and tricks.

I am looking forward to learning from all of you. :thumbs:

Hello Deborah and welcome.

I too want to do a fast flowing river tank, but for zebra plecos. I want to drill two holes on both side panels of the tank and hook up two eheim canisters to bulkheads. The water current will flow from one side of the tank to the other side, but the current will travel directly along the bottom as well as across the surface. The bottom substrate will be sand and full of large (softball sized) natural river rocks, so the plecos can build their caves.

Will

I too want to do a fast flowing river tank, but for zebra plecos. I want to drill two holes on both side panels of the tank and hook up two eheim canisters to bulkheads. The water current will flow from one side of the tank to the other side, but the current will travel directly along the bottom as well as across the surface. The bottom substrate will be sand and full of large (softball sized) natural river rocks, so the plecos can build their caves.

Will

Thanks for the welcome! There is a great article at http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstream...n-the-fast-lane that shows how to create one-way flow without drilling holes in the tank. If you want to share more ideas we should probably move to the appropriate forum but I have some great, inexpensive ideas to make the thing rock!

Deborah

Will

Thanks for the welcome! There is a great article at http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstream...n-the-fast-lane that shows how to create one-way flow without drilling holes in the tank. If you want to share more ideas we should probably move to the appropriate forum but I have some great, inexpensive ideas to make the thing rock!

Deborah

I really like that site and the filter idea, though I can't use it, I think it really rocks. My river tank idea is a display tank and I have to have all equipment out of the tank, including the heater. I'm also a glass worker so drilling holes in glass is second nature to me. I too have what I think (lol) are some good ideas and agree that we should move to the proper place and hopefully others will join in on the info action.

Will

Thanks for the welcome! There is a great article at <a href="http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstream...n-the-fast-lane" target="_blank">http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstream...n-the-fast-lane</a> that shows how to create one-way flow without drilling holes in the tank. If you want to share more ideas we should probably move to the appropriate forum but I have some great, inexpensive ideas to make the thing rock!

Deborah

I really like that site and the filter idea, though I can't use it, I think it really rocks. My river tank idea is a display tank and I have to have all equipment out of the tank, including the heater. I'm also a glass worker so drilling holes in glass is second nature to me. I too have what I think (lol) are some good ideas and agree that we should move to the proper place and hopefully others will join in on the info action.

I look foward to sharing ideas with you. I sounded a bit egotistical didn't I :& (sorry I am new at this).

It may not be such a good idea to let people know you work with glass though ;) (lol).

My name is Deborah and I have been in and out of aquariums and terrariums for about 15 years. My husband is FrogFan23 and he raves about this forum so I thought I would get involved.

I currently have a 75 gallon tank with 2 ropefish (they are great!), 2 giant oto's (Hypoptopoma sp.), 4 regular otos, 2 negro otos, 1 Spotted Raphael catfish, 2 Synodontis petricola catfish, 1 Syndontis multipunctatus catfish, a number of striped and black kuhli loaches (they are great but I never see them), 2 Red-tail banded loaches, and some livebearers (to entertain and feed the ropefish!).

I am fascinated by loaches (particularly the hillstream species) and catfish. I am hoping to set up a 40 gallon "river tank" for hillstream loaches and would appreciate any DIY tips and tricks.

I am looking forward to learning from all of you. :thumbs:

Welcome to AA!!

Will

Thanks for the welcome! There is a great article at <a href="http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstream...n-the-fast-lane" target="_blank">http://www.loaches.com/articles/hillstream...n-the-fast-lane</a> that shows how to create one-way flow without drilling holes in the tank. If you want to share more ideas we should probably move to the appropriate forum but I have some great, inexpensive ideas to make the thing rock!

Deborah

I sounded a bit egotistical didn't I :& (sorry I am new at this).

No not at all, you sound very creative. I (lol) because I really don't think about designs but imagine them and I thought that maybe you do too. Which is kinda funny because instead of saying I have a lot of creative visions/ideas I say 'I think'. :smokey:

Welcome to the forum