Tank background.

t-man

It shouldn't be to long before they give me a call to come and build my 450 gallon tank. I already have my stand in place. My question is I want to leave my tank close to the wall but I won't be able to get behind the tank to clean the glass when it gets water stained. Should I forget about a scenery background and paint it or should I go with a scenery background and leave the tank out so I can get behind it to clean the glass?

If you need to know I am probably going try and breed my 3 black arowanas in it and have a few stingrays in the bottom.

If you are able to get a large enough plastic background to cover, just cover the background with Vaseline and stick the background on the glass. The Vaseline will hold it to the tank and will not allow the glass to get water stained. If you want to tape the edge it will stop the background from getting loose over the years.

There is another advantage in that the background never goes dull but stays brilliant.

You could simply paint it with acrilic paint , I prefer black, and then if water does drip down the back you wont see it through the tank as water drops. It peels off easily if you chose to change it. After that you could still put something inside, those look awesome. Have fun with it .

If you are artistic enough you could also paint a scenic background

If you want to be really adventurous and can find (and afford) enough of the moss you could try growing a moss wall. After seeing someone's post in the plant forum about Christmas moss I got interested in it and then came across the moss wall page...I think it would be pretty cool! If you got creative you could maybe find a way to combine the moss wall idea with a DIY styrofoam background.

If you want to be really adventurous and can find (and afford) enough of the moss you could try growing a moss wall. After seeing someone's post in the plant forum about Christmas moss I got interested in it and then came across the moss wall page...I think it would be pretty cool! If you got creative you could maybe find a way to combine the moss wall idea with a DIY styrofoam background.

That site was fun . I'm going to try this one . :D

My vote goes with the 3D in-tank background if you can afford the time to make it, it would look spectacular in a tank of that size. Otherwise go with a black or dark green outer background, I'd go with the dark green though since it looks good in FW aquariums.

I am definitely against a bought scenery background, they take away from any tank, and it would be sad if a tank that size had one.

Good luck making a decision,

Taylor

I'm glad to see you Finlay posted a pic of your tank John.