Geo redheads

Gordon Wright

After a work season short on tank attention, my F1 redhead tapajos got busy in spite of w/c consisting of treated tap water instead of their usual r.o. mixture. A 90 gallon with (I think ) 4 females and 1 male sharing space with a couple big bn's and some wild threadfins, ph 6.8 temp 80F. One night's w/c had me moving driftwood around to add sand that seems to get sucked up with the vacuum. I must have just missed disturbing eggs by a day or so because the next morning mom and dad both had their little herd of fry very close by in front of them. They guarded them extremely well for the first 10 days and I did rescue the last 1/2 dozen or so fry to add to a cherry shrimp tank. :) They're more than happy there until I set up a fry tank. And I see the same two parents are chewing eggs right now. I don't think it's been three weeks since the first batch. Delayed mouth brooders are so cool.

• 4 weeks later...

Nice sized clutch. A buddy just gave me 4 juvies, looks like 1 male & 3 females, so we'll see what happens when I move them into a 125. They're currently in with 2 other juvie eartheaters, that were sold as G. surinamensis (most likely G. abalios) and the 4 Tapajos dominate the tank. Temp in their current tank is 81F, with a pH of 7.8, so I'll let you know how that works out.

From what I've read this geo variant breeds quite readily, even in higher pH water.

Here's a pic of my juvie male, just starting to get his groove on ......

fish659.jpg

He looks like he can't wait to be a menace! The rest of the pack in my tank I think are females. One has copied the couple with eggs and cleaned underneath a log and even placed eggs. They were gone the next day. And today there is eggs inside a 5 inch terracotta pot, same area. I thought this would be too confined for tapajos. Only other culprit could be bn plecos. But I think the eggs would be a cluster, not uniformly placed?

Thanks Kyle, I can't wait to get these fish into a larger tank.

Gordon, from what I've read, in an aquarium setting Tapajos tend to pair off, and sometimes only breed with one female, so let me know if your male starts to breed with the rest of your females.

• 2 weeks later...