callamanus infestation - Yikes!

Fish_Frenzy

Try to contact mykiss...he was selling some a while back and got mine from him. He is a member here and B.C. aquatica. Levamisole worked withing the same day (worms fell out)...it is actually used as an immunomodulator (ERGAMISOL®) in humans undergoing chemotherapy. Ihave only seen in used once in humans as an immunomodulator.

I think I still have one package left...I just cant find it. I will look again.

Jonah

I had camallanus in my tanks over the summer, brought home from the Crowfoot Petland.

Email Charles Harrison (website here, email link at the bottom). Tell him you want Levamisole HCl, that you are in Canada, and give him your tank size. He will ship you powdered Levamisole by express. I purchased enough levamisole and flubendazole (useful against external and internal parasites other than camallanus) to last me for a year or more (QT treatments, etc) for about $40 US (including shipping).

He's very helpful and includes dosing instructions.

Be warned: the levamisole killed all my nerites and all but three of my shrimp. As previously pointed out, even after treating you still could be in for more fish deaths due to internal rot or other diseases. It's a tough one. Good luck!

Edited by Shai

Thank you all for being very helpful, unfortunately, I'm unable to afford to purchase the meds needed. Just don't have the cash as I was off work for 3 weeks due to pneumonia, and I am behind on everything as a result, then the car decided it needs a new seal or head gasket thingy or something like that..it's on the list too!

I will buy the meds as soon as I can afford it. I appreciate everyone's help with this, you have been great!

Tammy

have you asked for safe guard for horses or "VitaTrace" made by Kordon

A member of the Aquarium Society of Winnipeg is a Vet. and did some research for me on the ingredients of lavimsole at a time when I wanted to treat some rainbows. He recommended trying Safe Guard which is readily available and inexpensive. It did work for me however others purchased it and felt it did nothing for them. Turns your aquarium water milkly white but does clear up in a couple of days. Worth a shot for sure.

Rick

Edited by Tanked

Thank you all for being very helpful, unfortunately, I'm unable to afford to purchase the meds needed. Just don't have the cash as I was off work for 3 weeks due to pneumonia, and I am behind on everything as a result, then the car decided it needs a new seal or head gasket thingy or something like that..it's on the list too!

I will buy the meds as soon as I can afford it. I appreciate everyone's help with this, you have been great!

Tammy

What size is the QT tank you have these fish in? If it's small, to tide you over I could measure out a dosage for that tank from my supply. It's a 24 hour treatment and one dose should do it. After that you can keep an eye on your fish and redose your tank(s) at a later date when you have the funds if you've cross-contaminated by accident. But with the fish you have now, the longer you wait the more likely it will be that they won't survive, even with treatment.

Send me a PM, let me know.

Edited by Shai

Would it work to bleach the nets?

I did bleach buckets, nets, even the gravel vacs. Soaked them in a bucket of very hot water and bleach for an hour then rinsed with very hot water a few times, then ran cold water until I couldn't smell the bleach any more. I decided to stick them outside for the night. If bleach, heat and cold don't kill the little buggers, then I am in trouble!

Tammy

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks to Shai, I have treated all the fish that had Callamanus and it seems to have worked. I medicated Dec 14 and have done 90% water changes since the day after treatment. I haven't lost any fish yet although their appetite isn't what it was prior to treatment. I bleached every net and bucket in the house and the buckets & etc that I now use just for the affected fish gets bleached between uses.

Thanks again Shai for lending me some meds and all those who offered advice. :thumbs:

Tammy

Well, thanks to Shai, I have treated all the fish that had Callamanus and it seems to have worked. I medicated Dec 14 and have done 90% water changes since the day after treatment. I haven't lost any fish yet although their appetite isn't what it was prior to treatment. I bleached every net and bucket in the house and the buckets & etc that I now use just for the affected fish gets bleached between uses.

Thanks again Shai for lending me some meds and all those who offered advice. :thumbs:

Tammy

: ) I'm really glad it worked out for you! You're welcome for the assist.