callamanus infestation - Yikes!

Fish_Frenzy

I don't believe you can get the pure form of Levamisole anymore unless you might be able to get it through a VEt. . It is availalbe in the U.S and you can order it from thewormer.com as pig deweormer.

Rick

just read Diane's post on the same issue and her link to VetMed is a good one and the price for the product is cheaper then through the wormer.com

Rick

Edited by Tanked

Wow....you don't know how hard it is to track down something like this until you try...

I have made 24 calls this morning starting at 9am and have gotten absolutely nowhere! I have called vets (one in calgary will treat the fish...but wants $65 bucks to see it!), vet compounding dispensaries, UFA, feed mills, pfizer...the list goes on! Actually, the vet compounding dispensary will order it in...at about $60 for 5 grams. I just can't afford that...

This sucks.

I have the affected fish in 3 separate tanks...there were alot of fish.

tank #1- just females

tank #2- moved the males into my mystery snail tank

tank #3- moved babies into my amano shrimp tank

the questions I need answered are...

If I move the amano shrimp in with my cherry shrimp, will the amano shrimp carry the callamanus? Do shrimp get callamanus?

Where to put the mystery snails (and their eggs)? Can I put them in a betta bowl (no betta of course) for a few days? They are air breathers... so I wouldn't need a filter right?

What do I use to clean any nets, buckets etc that were used on those tanks? I soaked them overnight in a strong solution of vinegar and very hot water already.

Tammy

Edited by Fish_Frenzy

Wow....you don't know how hard it is to track down something like this until you try...

I have made 24 calls this morning starting at 9am and have gotten absolutely nowhere! I have called vets (one in calgary will treat the fish...but wants $65 bucks to see it!), vet compounding dispensaries, UFA, feed mills, pfizer...the list goes on! Actually, the vet compounding dispensary will order it in...at about $60 for 5 grams. I just can't afford that...

This sucks.

I have the affected fish in 3 separate tanks...there were alot of fish.

tank #1- just females

tank #2- moved the males into my mystery snail tank

tank #3- moved babies into my amano shrimp tank

the questions I need answered are...

If I move the amano shrimp in with my cherry shrimp, will the amano shrimp carry the callamanus? Do shrimp get callamanus?

Where to put the mystery snails (and their eggs)? Can I put them in a betta bowl (no betta of course) for a few days? They are air breathers... so I wouldn't need a filter right?

What do I use to clean any nets, buckets etc that were used on those tanks? I soaked them overnight in a strong solution of vinegar and very hot water already.

Tammy

yup, shrimp are a host. Keep the fish healthy by way of water quality and nutrition and add freshly minced garlic to a home made food (1 clove per kg of food). Garlic in the diet will weaken intestinal parasites greatly and nowhere near as dangerous as the highly cancer causing chemicals.

Are these infected fish being sold in a store? If so, which one?

Edited by Willfishguy

It seems there is a huge outbreak in aquaria of late, I personally tried to battle this made thousands of calls to local vets from Leduc, to Edmonton and none of the would even suggest trying to treat the fish because of the lack of education in the aquarium world.

I have got tons of advice as to where you can order the pig dewormer but to order it is expensive. I tried stuff that was recommended to me from a local fish store, which did not work sorry if I have offended but I tried it as directed it did NOT work at all period. Lost one fish after the other and the other.

I got so fustrated with the whole experience I swore off fish, yes my stock was almost all infected.

After trying to treat them with puppy dewormer which if you look at the ingredience does in fact have the stuff to kill the worms, but if not done correctly can potentially loose a few or all from overdose. I wouldn't recommend unless your confident in what your doing.

I lost a couple from this, but didn't loose them all.

Some fish got bloat/ick/fin rot afterwards. Treated each one lost a couple from this.

Still had those damn bloody worms, and loosing a fish a day.

I had no other recourse after a month of trying to correct this, I had to make a final decision, it was to put the infected fish out of their misery or let them die a slow death. It doesn't get pretty!

I no longer have guppies I had over at least 70 all infected, and a total of 5 betta's gone, and four cherry barbs. Thank fully, my baby betta's did not get infected nor did my favorite betta's.

My suggestion, and I know its not what you all want to hear, but is to destroy any fish infected if everything else fails! This worms are easily transferrable it would only take a dropplet of water to infect you healthy stock.

I would have returned those newly acquired fish upon noticing them and let the owner know he might not have been aware.

if you have hydrochloric acid sitting around soak everything in a dilute solution of that.

if not, soak all aquaria stuff you are using in a heavily nox iched or methylane blue water concentration,

and malachite green works as well too.

make sure not to get the green on your skin as it can have bad outcomes.

eg. it can alter a whole segment of dna to cause cancer on mrna strands.

Quinn

Well, I managed to get my hands on some Clout as that is what a few people have recommended to me as it is still (though harder to get than it used to be) available in Canada.

I have read as much as possible (think my eyes are about to fall out) about callamanus and the use of Levamisole (which is what I really want but cannot get locally) and Clout is said to be for external parasites, ich, flashing and parasitic copepods...so here goes... GULP!

Tammy

Well, I managed to get my hands on some Clout as that is what a few people have recommended to me as it is still (though harder to get than it used to be) available in Canada.

I have read as much as possible (think my eyes are about to fall out) about callamanus and the use of Levamisole (which is what I really want but cannot get locally) and Clout is said to be for external parasites, ich, flashing and parasitic copepods...so here goes... GULP!

Tammy

If you have callamanus by what I understand you are wasting your time.. as your worm is a nematode

if you cannot get levamisole you cab try fenbrizanole (sp) or I think praziquantel there is a jungle foods anti parasite medicated food but my fish wont eat it

cvallamanus is not an external parasite. Treating with levamisole will kill the worm however losses may still occur as the worm attaches itself to the intestine, dies and decays. If not passed through the intestinal tract of the fish it will cause an internal infection killing the fish. This is a nasty worm that is becoming much more prevelant in the hobby. Farm raised fish, such as livebearers, rainbows etc are coming in with this worm. You can't blame the stores as the worm may not show itself for months after purchase. Levamisole used to be readily available through feed lots etc however the pure form is no longer avaialbe without prescription amd what you really need is a friend who is Vet who might help you out. I treat all my wild caught fish and store bought fish with levamisole. The dose is 5 grams per 100 gallons or 1/2 gram in 10.

Rick

if you cannot get levamisole you cab try fenbrizanole (sp) or I think praziquantel there is a jungle foods anti parasite medicated food but my fish wont eat it

BTW I have two jars of it, if anyone wants them. Maybe your fish aren't so picky!

Yep, Jungle foods has these ingredients which the fish turn their noses at, tried soaking in garlic and frozen brine shirmp to mask it, darn buggers knew what it was so, tough call to get them to eat this.

But dog dewormer does have these ingredients puppy dewormer I found my package in a Petro-can. Only problem is its a chemical added to your tank and if eaten I can not garantee a successful outcome, it didn't work for me only ended up getting fish that were not only sick but now suffering.