40,000 gallons

Willfishguy

I'd go with Koi in one tank (cheap, no heating required), and Asian arowana in the other.

You could get 12 juvenile HBRTG aros shipped to you for under $4000. Raise them up for 4 years and then breed them. That would be a hoot!

Hmm...if you want "wow factor", forget the above and go with a few arapaima instead! Just think of the fun you could have in a few years time feeding them whole chickens or small pigs (just joking! :tongue: )

lol, you have a good imagination. I won't do S. formosus because of the other reason I mentioned and as much as I love A. gigas, they just get waaaaaaaaaay to big for my liking. I have an electric eel and even it's size is getting a little out of hand at a little over 100cm. Oh, and Koi aren't my thing. :)

Edited by Willfishguy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will if you get into breeding motoro's i have 2 16-18 inch right now a mature male and female we could talk? the female has beautiful orange spots where as the males are a little mottled. I also agree with asian aro's i have a green right now but would love to be involved with the breeding of these as well.

Arapaima would be really cool! Doesn't get much more unique than the worlds longest fish!

I think a 'community' tank would be lost in something that size; a bunch of tetras and barbs would essentially look like a bunch of uncoloured minnows. If they looked as bright from above as they do from the side, then predators would have an easy time picking them off.

Plants might also not be the easiest, depending on what depth you filled the tank up with, as you would need an enormous amount of lighting to actually get anything to grow on the bottom in as deep of a tank as it looks in the photos.

If cutting a hole in the side and installing viewing glass isnt' an option, I'd definitely be looking into koi, arowana's, and arapaima. With some rays on the bottom, of course (tigers would be very cool in a tank that size!).

I have done an indoor plant pond with community fish before (ofcoarse nothing of this magnatude) and it really was nice, though you are right that the schools are pretty much colourless. The tanks are 75% below ground so viewing from the side is not an option. With the proper light lighting and intense enough I think that some species of plants should do very well, especially one's like sword plants that naturally grow very large. One thing I'd do is plant clusters with intense light, then open space with just fluoresent light.

Will if you get into breeding motoro's i have 2 16-18 inch right now a mature male and female we could talk? the female has beautiful orange spots where as the males are a little mottled. I also agree with asian aro's i have a green right now but would love to be involved with the breeding of these as well.

The Motoros are a for sure thing as I've already begun growing up a collection, but I will very seriously keep you and yours in consideration. I'm going to smooth out as many ripples as I can pertaining to filtration and heating, but in the mean time my rays are going in a big homemade wooden tank to finish raising them and to see what it tanks to get these critters to fall in love.

lol, thankfully, these tanks are part of my job! :smokey:

Out of curiousity, what kind of job allows a person to have 2 40,000gal troughs in their office? I want a job like that.

Edited by BigA

Amazonian bio-tope with rays, big cats, arros, peacock bass and dorado

I've discover that rays and big territorial cats don't mix very well. I lost a monster adonis pleco to a ray.

I seriously doubt you will have issues with a tank that size.

Here's a thought I seen some sturgeon in the fishstore recently--a group of them and a bunch of good looking sunfish maybe a few bass and paddlefish--and you wouldn't have to heat it--throw in a freshwater sawfish too and maybe some turtles---

Here's a thought I seen some sturgeon in the fishstore recently--a group of them and a bunch of good looking sunfish maybe a few bass and paddlefish--and you wouldn't have to heat it--throw in a freshwater sawfish too and maybe some turtles---

were did you find sturgeon???? and what variety are they????????? and what are they selling for????

were did you find sturgeon???? and what variety are they????????? and what are they selling for????

I don't recall what kind they were they are at Golds they are about 4 inches and I think they are 30 bucks